Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Speed layer in Oryx2

Explorer

Hi,

Is the speed layer following an incremental learning approach in Oryx2? (during Model Update).

Thanks

Jayani

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Master Collaborator

The speed layer does indeed produce incremental updates. Like the serving layer, it loads the most recent model in memory and then computes how the model might change (approximately, rapidly) in response to new data, and internalizes and publishes those updates. The serving layers then hear the models but also the updates on the queue and update accordingly.

View solution in original post

Master Collaborator

Yes, well, I'd say that the batch layer can do "mini batch" if you simply use a low interval time. It's not a special case, really. I think this project isn't going to add its own data prep pipeline, no, but the idea is that you can use any Java or Spark-based libraries you like as part of your app. There's no need to have a different special set of support in this project.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Collaborator

The speed layer does indeed produce incremental updates. Like the serving layer, it loads the most recent model in memory and then computes how the model might change (approximately, rapidly) in response to new data, and internalizes and publishes those updates. The serving layers then hear the models but also the updates on the queue and update accordingly.

Explorer

Thanks Sean for the prompt response 🙂

So, can we use or customize the same speed layer approach for mini-batch learning as well?

Also, does Oryx have any future plans to support built-in pre-processing methods for text analysis such as Tokenization and TF-IDF vector creation?

Thank you

Jayani

Master Collaborator

Yes, well, I'd say that the batch layer can do "mini batch" if you simply use a low interval time. It's not a special case, really. I think this project isn't going to add its own data prep pipeline, no, but the idea is that you can use any Java or Spark-based libraries you like as part of your app. There's no need to have a different special set of support in this project.

Explorer

Okay. Thanks Sean for the information.

Explorer

Sean,

Can you provide more detailed information about how the approximation is computed in Oryx 2.0 ?

Is it the same fold-in approach as Oryx 1.0 ? Can you point to the code base as reference ?

Thanks.

Jason

Master Collaborator

ALS: yes, fold-in just as before k-means: assign point to a cluster and update its centroid (but don't reassign any other points) RDF: assign point to leaf and update leaf's prediction (but don't change the rest of the tree)