Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Tableau Refresh Error B19090E0

New Contributor

I am getting the following error message when I try to refresh my datasource in Tableau. I have gotten this error when I try to refresh in an existing workbook and when I try to connect in a new workbook.

Has anyone seen this error before?

An error occurred while communicating with the Other Databases (JDBC) data source 'ShowData'
Bad Connection: Tableau could not connect to the data source.
Error Code: B19090E0
[Cloudera][HiveJDBCDriver](500051) ERROR processing query/statement. Error Code: 10002,
SQL state: TStatus(statusCode:ERROR_STATUS,
infoMessages:[*org.apache.hive.service.cli.HiveSQLException:Error while compiling statement:
FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10002]: Line 1:20
Invalid column reference 'tableausql.fieldname':38:37, org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.Operation
:toSQLException:Operation.java:335, org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation:prepare:
SQLOperation.java:199, org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation:runInternal:SQLOperation.java:260,
org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.Operation:run:Operation.java:247,
org.apache.hive.service.cli.session.HiveSessionImpl:executeStatementInternal:HiveSessionImpl.java:541,
org.apache.hive.service.cli.session.HiveSessionImpl:executeStatementAsync:HiveSessionImpl.java:527,
org.apache.hive.service.cli.CLIService:executeStatementAsync:CLIService.java:312,
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.ThriftCLIService:ExecuteStatement:Thrif

1 REPLY 1

Super Collaborator

The error message indicates Tableau is having trouble connecting to your "ShowData" data source and there's an issue with the SQL query it's trying to run on your Hive database. Let's break down the error and potential solutions:

Error Breakdown:

• Bad Connection: Tableau can't establish a connection to the Hive database.
  • Error Code: B19090E0: Generic Tableau error for connection issues.
  • Error Code: 10002: Hive specific error related to the SQL query.
  • SQL state: TStatus(statusCode:ERROR_STATUS): Hive is encountering an error during query processing.
  • Invalid column reference 'tableausql.fieldname': The specific error points to an invalid column reference in the query.

Potential Solutions:

1. Verify Database Connection:

• Ensure the Hive server is running and accessible from Tableau.
    • Double-check the connection details in your Tableau data source configuration, including server address, port, username, and password.
  2. Review SQL Query:

• The error message highlights "tableausql.fieldname" as an invalid column reference.
      • Check if this field name actually exists in your Hive table. There might be a typo or a case-sensitivity issue.
      • If "tableausql" is a prefix Tableau adds, ensure it's not causing conflicts with your actual column names.
  3. Check for Unsupported Functions:

• In rare cases, Tableau might try to use functions not supported by Hive.