Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Temporary table not found (ODBC driver issue ?)

Contributor

Hi,

I am facing the following problem : Using the Hortonworks ODBC driver for Hive, I can create a temporary table (hiveserver2.log tell me that it is done without error), but I can't retrieve this table with a SELECT query thereafter.

When I try to do so, I get a "table not found" error. Does it mean the ODBC driver does not keep the session between 2 hive calls ? Is there something I am doing wrong or some configuration I need to set ? I believe since hive 0.14, the "temporary table" part in the ODBC driver configuration is not necessary, or is it ?

Thanks in advance,

Sylvain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

@dvt isoft I am not sure which client you are using to connect. It might be worth checking if the same connection (so that same session) is being used to run successive queries or is it like client is kind of establishing new connection for each query. Otherwise, hive odbc driver is able to run select queries on temporary tables and as you already mentioned you don't need to enable it explicitly starting Hive 0.14.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Contributor

Yes I can connect to Hive with ODBC driver. The problem was that a new session was generated at each call from my client.

Thanks,

Sylvain.

Contributor

I just have another question : do Temporary table have better performances than normal tables ?