Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Trying to remove ambari agent on ambari server

Contributor

Hi,

On the ambari server node I installed both ambari-server and ambari-agent (by mistake) . When I realized it I removed theambari-agent but then I got an error when trying to start ambari server and I had to reinstall ambari-agent again and in this way I got no error. I would like to understand how comes I cannot remove the ambari-agent from ambari server node. Somebody could explain to me how I can I remove the agent and what does it implies having amabri-agent and ambari-server both running on the ambari server node?

My cluster is made of 3 nodes and the ambari server is not part of the cluster but just an ambari serever.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Rosaura Maria Fran Mongardini

it is not a problem to have agent and server on the same host. You need to paste the errors for when you removed the agent. Stop the agent, remove it, maybe restart ambar server also. If you already installed services on the host where you want to remove agent, that's a different story, you need to delete services first then stop and remove agent.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Super Collaborator

What is the error? How do you uninstalled the agent

Contributor

I installed the agent manually:

wget -nv http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/ambari/ubuntu14/2.x/updates/2.2.0.0/ambari.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ambari.list apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com B9733A7A07513CAD apt-get update

apt-get install ambari-agent

and Configure the Ambari Agent by editing the ambari-agent.int

In order to get the error I should uninstall the agent and restart the server

I will do it

Master Mentor

it is not a problem to have agent and server on the same host. You need to paste the errors for when you removed the agent. Stop the agent, remove it, maybe restart ambar server also. If you already installed services on the host where you want to remove agent, that's a different story, you need to delete services first then stop and remove agent.

Contributor

In the host where I tried to remove the agent I just had the ambari server. I have used ambari Web UI wizard to create a hadoop cluster but on 3 other hosts an in that cluster I have few services (hdfs, pig, hive, MapReduce2 etc ) but in the host where the ambari server resides I have done nothing but just the configurations and environment settings .

Master Mentor

@Rosaura Maria Fran Mongardini not to worry, if the errors prevent you from running your services successfully, paste the logs here and we can address them. Thanks!

Contributor

everything is doing well now, my cluster is working perfectly and my web UI either. If there is not problem having an ambari-agent on the ambari server host I would keep it there. I was only wondering if it could become a problem, but since you told me it wont (and maybe it could be helpful in the future) I will live it there. Thanks a lot

Master Mentor

@Rosaura Maria Fran Mongardini sure thing, it could only become a problem if you install too many services on the same node as ambari server, at some point you want to spread the load across multiple ambari servers for user Ambari views but in general having agent and server on the same nodes is okay given the machine resources.

Master Mentor

We need to have ambari agent in ambari server. It's completely normal to have ambari server and agent in the same node. I won't remove agent from the ambari server host.

Ambari does pretty good job on segregating the services across different nodes.

Contributor

ok thanks