Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to connect ConsumeKafka to ReplaceText

I am trying to create a flow to take the entire content of my kafka message and insert in one column in Cassandra. I have configured ConsumeKafka so that I get one message per FlowFile. I am trying to connect the Processors as shown below:

ConsumeKafka -> ReplaceText -> PutCassandraQL

I am unable to connect ConsumeKafka to ReplaceText. Why is that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@Vinod Chhabria

There is nothing that would prevent that connection from being allowed. Try dragging the connection again. If it still does not highlight green try the following:

Try making a copy of your replaceTEXT processor and see if you can connect to the copy. Right click on replace TEXT and select "copy" then right click on empty graph space and click "paste".

Matt

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Super Mentor

@Vinod Chhabria

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "I am unable to connect ConsumeKafka to ReplaceText." Are you seeing an error when trying to do so?

Super Mentor

@Vinod Chhabria

There is nothing that would prevent that connection from being allowed. Try dragging the connection again. If it still does not highlight green try the following:

Try making a copy of your replaceTEXT processor and see if you can connect to the copy. Right click on replace TEXT and select "copy" then right click on empty graph space and click "paste".

Matt

No. When I try to connect the relationship from ConsumeKafka to ReplaceText, it does not highlight it for me to be able to connect. But If I try to connect from ConsumeKafka to PutCassandraQL it highlights and lets me establish relationship. Is there something that prevents from the output of ConsumeKafka to go to ReplaceText. I thought ReplaceText could take any FlowFile with content and that is what ConsumeKafka produces.

Super Mentor

Is this a standalone NiFi install or a NifI cluster?

Tried it. No luck.I even tried with creating a GenerateFlowFile processor and connect to ReplaceText. That also does not work. Is there some processor that needs to be used in conjunction with ReplaceText like ExtractText or something?

Super Mentor

@Vinod Chhabria

What you are trying to do definitely works. What version of NiFi/HDF are you using? Is this a standalone NiFi or a cluster? 9275-screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-95308-am.png

When you drag the connection from ConsumeKafka to ReplaceText are you seeing any component get highlighted green including the ConsumeKafka processor itself?

If so, without letting go of the mouse button drag you cursor back over the ConsumeKafka and then back to the ReplaceText. Did the highlighting of the ConsumeKafka go away? Did ReplaceText now highlight?

Thanks,

Matt

Super Mentor

Processor have not notion of what processors come before or after them in a dataflow. A processor simply has an establish set of rules governing its configuration.

For example: Required properties XYZ must be set, all downstream relationships must be defined, and/or at least one upstream connection must be connected.

So in the case of the ReplaceText processor it does not know who the source of the upstream connection is. It simply cares that one exists from which to pull FlowFiles from its queue.

I do not believe this. I did two things. Deleted all ReplaceText processors. Created a new one. Then I just came out of the process group and went back in and now it connected. I did not even have to try what you suggested. I have seen this happen while connecting other processors also. The drag feature is very unstable.

Thanks a lot for helping me resolve this and especially for the quick replies.