Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to get audit logs from Apache Ranger Trino plugin

Explorer

I have edited the install.properties file for the trino plugin and am using this repository https://github.com/aakashnand/trino-ranger-demo.git 

I edited the  XAAUDIT.ELASTICSEARCH.URL to my IP and XAAUDIT.ELASTICSEARCH.PORT to my port, and I am using similar configuration for apache hive plugin too and its working there but for trino I get this error when I perform a task and it tried to send audit message.

2022-11-29T09:48:32.780Z	INFO	org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditBatchQueue1	stdout	INFO  - {"repoType":8,"repo":"apache_trino_onprem_8","reqUser":"testuser","evtTime":"2022-11-29 09:48:32.543","resource":"tpch/sf1/nation/comment","resType":"column","action":"select","result":1,"agent":"trino","policy":141,"enforcer":"ranger-acl","agentHost":"my-localhost-trino","logType":"RangerAudit","id":"718df890-2d9c-4641-96fe-c38fd58f8a20-37","seq_num":75,"event_count":1,"event_dur_ms":0,"tags":[],"cluster_name":"","policy_version":0}
2022-11-29T09:48:33.471Z	INFO	org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditBatchQueue0	stdout	ERROR - Can't connect to ElasticSearch server: User:elasticsearch, http://192.168.100.82:8091/ranger_auditsjava.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.elasticsearch.ElasticsearchStatusException
	at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.parseResponseException(RestHighLevelClient.java:1891)
	at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.internalPerformRequest(RestHighLevelClient.java:1645)
	at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.performRequest(RestHighLevelClient.java:1602)
	at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.performRequestAndParseEntity(RestHighLevelClient.java:1572)
	at org.elasticsearch.client.IndicesClient.open(IndicesClient.java:614)
	at org.apache.ranger.audit.destination.ElasticSearchAuditDestination.newClient(ElasticSearchAuditDestination.java:253)
	at org.apache.ranger.audit.destination.ElasticSearchAuditDestination.getClient(ElasticSearchAuditDestination.java:184)
	at org.apache.ranger.audit.destination.ElasticSearchAuditDestination.log(ElasticSearchAuditDestination.java:118)
	at org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditBatchQueue.runLogAudit(AuditBatchQueue.java:309)
	at org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditBatchQueue.run(AuditBatchQueue.java:215)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)

2022-11-29T09:48:33.471Z	INFO	org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditBatchQueue0	stdout	WARN  - failed to log audit event: {"repoType":8,"repo":"apache_trino_onprem_8","reqUser":"testuser","evtTime":"2022-11-29 09:48:31.428","resource":"lower","resType":"function","action":"execute","result":0,"agent":"trino","policy":-1,"enforcer":"ranger-acl","agentHost":"my-localhost-trino","logType":"RangerAudit","id":"718df890-2d9c-4641-96fe-c38fd58f8a20-19","seq_num":39,"event_count":1,"event_dur_ms":0,"tags":[],"cluster_name":""}, errorMessage=
2022-11-29T09:48:33.476Z	INFO	org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditBatchQueue0	stdout	WARN  - Log failure count: 19 in past 28:23.520 minutes; 20 during process lifetime
2022-11-29T09:48:33.669Z	INFO	PolicyRefresher(serviceName=apache_trino_onprem_8)-169	stdout	ERROR - Error getting Roles; service not found. secureMode=false, user=root (auth:SIMPLE), response=404, serviceName=apache_trino_onprem_8, lastKnownRoleVersion=-1, lastActivationTimeInMillis=1669713508318

I also 
can't find where the curl commands are, e.g for hive I can see the exact curl command it is sending along with the payload in hive.log but for trino I can't see any curl command in logs. 

7 REPLIES 7

Master Collaborator

@aleezeh We seem to be missing the jar for the class org.elasticsearch.ElasticsearchStatusException

Please make sure that you have elasticsearch-7.6.0.jar is present in the classpath. This jar comes bundled in ranger-${RANGER_VERSION}-admin.tar.gz. 

Explorer

hey, I'm not using ranger-admin I'm using the <es url>/_bulk call to get the audits which works up until trino 365, this error is only visible in the newer trino versions

Explorer

hey, I'm not using ranger-admin I'm using the <es url>/_bulk call to get the audits which works up until trino 365, this error is only visible in the newer trino versions

Master Collaborator

@aleezeh I guess you could reach out to Trino support for their inputs. But it looks like we are missing a dependent elasticsearch jar in the classpath.

Explorer

hey! so the problem was that i wasnt handling the open connection API call for elastic search due to which i was facing the error 

New Contributor

Hi @aleezeh ,

I'm facing similar problems. Can you elaborate how do you solve the problem?

Thanks,

Explorer

I was redirecting the es audit logs to get the audit logs on an endpoint I had made for testing and the issue was the i wasnt handling the open connection es API call due to which the plugin wasnt able to establish an es connection, 

/ranger_audits/_open

This is the API end point and this needs to send some response so es audit connection can be established