Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to query HIVE database

Expert Contributor

I have got a local user on one of the Gateway Node and I am trying to query one of the HIVE table using the local user account. Looks like I need do not have enough permissions and following is the error message :

Job Submission failed with exception 'org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException(org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=XXXXXX, access=WRITE, inode="/user":hdfs:hdfs:Drwxr-xr-x)' FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MapRedTask

Please advise what should be my next step to get access

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Kumar Veerappan

Your user needs an hdfs user directory.

As hdfs create a directory for your OS user in /user (under hdfs) and grant ownership to your user on that /user/youruser folder.

As root do:

sudo su hdfs

hadoop fs -mkdir /user/youruser

hadoop fs -chown youruser /user/youruser

Try again with your OS user and if this response addressed your problem, please vote and accept it the best response.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Guru

@Kumar Veerappan

Your user needs an hdfs user directory.

As hdfs create a directory for your OS user in /user (under hdfs) and grant ownership to your user on that /user/youruser folder.

As root do:

sudo su hdfs

hadoop fs -mkdir /user/youruser

hadoop fs -chown youruser /user/youruser

Try again with your OS user and if this response addressed your problem, please vote and accept it the best response.

Expert Contributor

This worked ..thanks Constantin

Master Guru

@Kumar Veerappan

Similar to this issue.

You are getting a "permission denied"-error because you are trying to access a folder that is owned by the hdfs-user and the permissions do not allow write access from others.

A) You could use the HDFS-user to run your application/script

su hdfs

or

export HADOOP_USER_NAME=hdfs

B) Change the owner of the your user (note: to change the owner you have to be a superuser or the owner => hdfs)

hdfs dfs -chown -R <username_of_new_owner> /user