Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to run CDH 5 Quickstart KVM on my Ubuntu desktop

New Contributor

Just downloaded the KVM CDH 5 have extracted the file "cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.1.0-1-kvm.qcow2"

What is the right command to run this qcow2 file I tried running the command

kvm -hda cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.1.0-1-kvm.qcow2 -vga std

after I run this command I see the prompt for Centos 6.2 and the progress bar completing after a long wait I get the message

Stack Call Trace : followed by hexadecimal code

I am guessing my kvm command is wrong any help appreciated. Is there any documentation on how to run the VM image for kvm ?

Ejaz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

Ejaz,

The qcow2 file is just a disk image. To boot it up with KVM you'll also need to define the amount of RAM, CPU resources, etc. The reason for distributing just the disk image is that it's usable in KVM, but is also commonly used in all sorts of systems that have their own ways of defining the rest of the hardware.

Since you're on Ubuntu, I'd refer you to these instructions for creating virtual machines from existing disk images: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/CreateGuests#Create_a_virtual_machine_from_pre-existing_image. Since you're running Ubuntu desktop, I'd also suggest you look at virt-manager (also discussed on that page) that provides a graphical interface for doing all this. It's what I use and you'll find it to be much easier to work with but also very powerful.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Guru

Ejaz,

The qcow2 file is just a disk image. To boot it up with KVM you'll also need to define the amount of RAM, CPU resources, etc. The reason for distributing just the disk image is that it's usable in KVM, but is also commonly used in all sorts of systems that have their own ways of defining the rest of the hardware.

Since you're on Ubuntu, I'd refer you to these instructions for creating virtual machines from existing disk images: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/CreateGuests#Create_a_virtual_machine_from_pre-existing_image. Since you're running Ubuntu desktop, I'd also suggest you look at virt-manager (also discussed on that page) that provides a graphical interface for doing all this. It's what I use and you'll find it to be much easier to work with but also very powerful.

New Contributor

Thanks Sean.

I downloaded the VMWare version and am using that for now. Will figure KVM some other time but it would be nice if there was some better documentation to "Getting Started for Cloudera - KVM" downloads

Regards

Ejaz

New Contributor

I run a Mint 17 linux system that is similar and derivative of Ubuntu, so I assume it is relevant for this post.

I installed all the libvirt prerequisites and also the virt-manager package.

I created the VM for the

cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-kvm.qcow2

image using the icon driven process. I used the choice "import existing disk image" and assigned the memory and CPU count..etc.

It all seemed to work fine until I tried to run the VM. The virt-manager showed the 

boot sequence for the new VM but alas the system did not find a boutable disk.

Booting from Hard Disk..

Boot failed: not a bootable disk

No bootable device.

is there something I am missing?

any advice wyould be greatly appreciated,

New Contributor

So I figured out the problem..

For those of you using a linux setup with virt-manager and KVM, there is a small adjustment you have to make in order for the VM to boot after creation/installation.

When you create the VM or after, you have to adjust the configuration of the machine. There is an icon for viewing the "details" of the created VM.

Under details there is a settings item for the hard disk. Under this hard disk settings there is an "advanced options."

The disk bus should be "virtio" and the Storage format should be "qcow2"...apparently the default is "raw" so you have to be explilcit that it is qcow2.

Good luck,

New Contributor

I've downloaded cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.8.0-0-kvm.zip, and used it in Ubuntu16.04 with virt-manager, it works fine, I didn't change any settings.

But the cloudera VM is really slow, the CPU is always 100% even I don't do anything.

Community Manager
Welcome to the community Clock. I'm sorry to see you are having issues. You may want to consider starting a new thread for your issue as this one hasn't been active for some time. I would also suggest adding some additional information about your setup, such as RAM and CPU of the system as well as what it allocated to the VM, in the new thread.

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor
Cy Jervis, thanks for your remind. Yes, I agree, we should not create a new topic in one thread. I'll create a new thread on my performance issue.