Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to run Hive query through putty

Explorer

Hi Team,

We are trying to insert data into Hive QL , however it's failing.

Error message as under :

The error message is as under 

ERROR : Failed to execute tez graph.
java.io.IOException: The ownership on the staging directory hdfs://<OneFSShare>.dev.cds:8020/tmp/hive/<hive_user>/_tez_session_dir/f8ad4086-ef7b-4194-a050-d15dba6913ca is not as expected. It is owned by root. The directory must be owned by the submitter <hive_user> or by <hive_user>

Pls suggest.

The following folder is owned by root instead of <hive-user>

hdfs://<OneFSShare>.dev.cds:8020/tmp/hive/<hive_user>/_tez_session_dir/f8ad4086-ef7b-4194-a050-d15dba6913ca 

20 REPLIES 20

Master Mentor

@ARVINDR 

This is a permission issue in hdfs, so what you should do is as follow to resolve the issue

Assuming you are logged in as root  change recursively the directory owner to [user:group ] hive:hdfs

# su - hdfs

$ hdfs dfs -chown -R hive:hdfs /tmp/hive

Check the ownership now

$ hdfs dfs -ls /tmp

Desired output

The output should match the  below snippet 

drwxrwxrwx - hive hdfs 0 2018-12-12 23:43 /tmp/hive

Now if you re-run HQL it should succeed.

Please let me know

Explorer

Hi @Shelton 

I changed the permissions as advised.

However, getting the same error.

The new folder inside _tez_session_dir gets created with root ownership instead of <hive_user> 

Pls note that <hive_user> has been mapped to root at Isilon side.

I tried creating another user hdpuser1 using below commands in mysql after login as root

create user 'hdpuser1'@'%'  identified by 'xxxxx';
grant all on hive.* TO 'hdpuser1'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'xxxxx';

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

However, this doesn't work.

20/03/24 02:24:55 [main]: WARN jdbc.HiveConnection: Failed to connect to <FQDN of Data Node>:10000

20/03/24 02:24:55 [main]: ERROR jdbc.Utils: Unable to read HiveServer2 configs from ZooKeeper​

Error: Could not open client transport for any of the Server URI's in ZooKeeper: Failed to open new session: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(org.apache.hadoop.security.authorize.AuthorizationException): Username: 'hdpuser1' not found. Make sure your client's username exists on the cluster (state=08S01,code=0)​

Beeline version 3.1.0.3.0.1.0-187 by Apache Hive​

beeline>​

Master Mentor

@ARVINDR 

The user hdpuser1 should exist locally, to check whether you have a similar output. Did you run  the below.

# useradd hdpuser1

To check run the below

# cat /etc/passwd | grep hdpuser1
hdpuser1:x:1000:1000:hdpuser1:/home/hdpuser1:/bin/bash

I am not an expert on Isilon so user mapping is something I need to educate myself o. Do you have some documentation that I could read?

Explorer

Hi @Shelton,

Yes I did that & I can see the user in /etc/passwd file

I do not have any documentation on user mapping as currently it's controlled by EMC team (DELL Support) 

Super Guru

Are you running hive/beeline as the hive user or root?

To get to Hive as the hive user I do:

sudo su - hive
hive 

Then execute the queries.

Master Mentor

@ARVINDR 

In addition to @stevenmatison     switch command which people usually ignore 

Add a Hive proxy
To prevent network connection or notification problems, you must add a hive user proxy for HiveServer Interactive service to access the Hive Metastore

Steps:

In Ambari, select Services > HDFS > Configs > Advanced.
In Custom core-site, add the FQDNs of the HiveServer Interactive host or hosts to the value of hadoop.proxyuser.hive.hosts.
Save the changes.

Can you also set the hive.server2.enable.doAs

hive.server2.enable.doAs=true --> Run hive scripts as end user instead of Hive user.

hive.server2.enable.doAs=false --> All the jobs will run as hive user.

Explorer

Thanks @Shelton

However, observed below error in Hive within Ambari when tried to re-install hive service

File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 314, in _call     raise ExecutionFailed(err_msg, code, out, err) resource_management.core.exceptions.ExecutionFailed: Execution of 'hadoop --config /usr/hdp/3.0.1.0-187/hadoop/conf jar /var/lib/ambari-agent/lib/fast-hdfs-resource.jar /var/lib/ambari-agent/tmp/hdfs_resources_1585061727.13.json' returned 1. Initializing filesystem uri: hdfs://<masternode>:8020 Creating: Resource [source=null, target=/hdp/apps/3.0.1.0-187/mapreduce, type=directory, action=create, owner=hdfs-<user>, group=null, mode=555, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Creating: Resource [source=/usr/hdp/3.0.1.0-187/hadoop/mapreduce.tar.gz, target=/hdp/apps/3.0.1.0-187/mapreduce/mapreduce.tar.gz, type=file, action=create, owner=hdfs-US01QC1, group=hadoop-US01QC1, mode=444, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Creating: Resource [source=null, target=/hdp/apps/3.0.1.0-187/tez, type=directory, action=create, owner=hdfs-US01QC1, group=null, mode=555, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Creating: Resource [source=/var/lib/ambari-agent/tmp/tez-native-tarball-staging/tez-native.tar.gz, target=/hdp/apps/3.0.1.0-187/tez/tez.tar.gz, type=file, action=create, owner=hdfs-<user>, group=hadoop-US01QC1, mode=444, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Creating: Resource [source=null, target=/hdp/apps/3.0.1.0-187/hive, type=directory, action=create, owner=hdfs-<user>, group=null, mode=555, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Creating: Resource [source=/usr/hdp/3.0.1.0-187/hive/hive.tar.gz, target=/hdp/apps/3.0.1.0-187/hive/hive.tar.gz, type=file, action=create, owner=hdfs-US01QC1, group=hadoop-<user>, mode=444, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Creating: Resource [source=null, target=/hdp/apps/3.0.1.0-187/mapreduce, type=directory, action=create, owner=hdfs-<user>, group=null, mode=555, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Creating: Resource [source=/usr/hdp/3.0.1.0-187/hadoop-mapreduce/hadoop-streaming.jar, target=/hdp/apps/3.0.1.0-187/mapreduce/hadoop-streaming.jar, type=file, action=create, owner=hdfs-<user>, group=hadoop-<user>, mode=444, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Creating: Resource [source=null, target=/warehouse/tablespace/external/hive/sys.db/, type=directory, action=create, owner=hive, group=null, mode=1755, recursiveChown=false, recursiveChmod=false, changePermissionforParents=false, manageIfExists=true] in default filesystem Exception occurred, Reason: Error mapping uname 'hive' to uid org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(java.lang.SecurityException): Error mapping uname 'hive' to uid at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.getRpcResponse(Client.java:1497) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1443) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1353) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:228) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:116) at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy9.setOwner(Unknown Source) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.setOwner(ClientNamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.java:470) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invokeMethod(RetryInvocationHandler.java:422) at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler$Call.invokeMethod(RetryInvocationHandler.java:165) at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler$Call.invoke(RetryInvocationHandler.java:157) at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler$Call.invokeOnce(RetryInvocationHandler.java:95) at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invoke(RetryInvocationHandler.java:359) at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy10.setOwner(Unknown Source) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient.setOwner(DFSClient.java:1908) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem$36.doCall(DistributedFileSystem.java:1770) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem$36.doCall(DistributedFileSystem.java:1767) at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystemLinkResolver.resolve(FileSystemLinkResolver.java:81) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem.setOwner(DistributedFileSystem.java:1780) at org.apache.ambari.fast_hdfs_resource.Resource.setOwner(Resource.java:276) at org.apache.ambari.fast_hdfs_resource.Runner.main(Runner.java:133) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:318) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:232)

Master Mentor

@ARVINDR 

Why did you have to re-install the service? The issue is with

Reason: Error mapping uname 'hive' to uid remember the hive uid is mapped to root. I am not an Isilon expert so I am really handicapped here

Please let me know 

Explorer

@Shelton

We thought of re-installing hive service where earlier it was running on data node & we thought of re-enabling it on master node.

The idea was to check if there are permission issues still