Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Unable to run Spark on Cloudera Manager Single User Mode with JDK1.8

Contributor

I have installed Cloudera Manager using the Single User Mode with Installation Path A, using JDK 1.8. The installation went fine, though when I try to run "spark-shell", I get the error "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/fs/FSDataInputStream" as  below:

org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/fs/FSDataInputStream
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmitArguments.handle(SparkSubmitArguments.scala:394)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at org.apache.spark.launcher.SparkSubmitOptionParser.parse(SparkSubmitOptionParser.java:163)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmitArguments.<init>(SparkSubmitArguments.scala:97)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.main(SparkSubmit.scala:114)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit.main(SparkSubmit.scala)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataInputStream
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:381)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:331)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
org.apache.spark.launcher.app.Driver                         I      ... 5 more

I tried sourcing /etc/conf/spark/spark-env.sh and /etc/hadoop/conf/hadoop-env.sh manually, but did not help. What can I do to resolve this issue? Since I have installed Cloudera in the Single User Mode, is there anything additional that I need to do here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

HI,

It is likely that the Spark client configuration is not found on this host.

Try doing the following:

1. in Cloudera Manager, go to Spark --> Instances --> Add Role Instances.  Add a Gateway to this host
  2. In Cloudera Manager, go to the Spark service and click the "Actions" menu; choose "Deploy Client Configuration"
  3. Test spark-shell

Based on the error, I think that spark-shell is not able to find an updated version of the client configuration.  If you already have a Gateway, then I'd deploy client configuration and see if that helps.

Regards,

Ben

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

Contributor

Hadoop is installed. A simple "hadoop version" yields this:

Hadoop 2.6.0-cdh5.8.0
Subversion http://github.com/cloudera/hadoop -r 042da8b868a212c843bcbf3594519dd26e816e79
Compiled by jenkins on 2016-07-12T23:02Z
Compiled with protoc 2.5.0
From source with checksum 2b6c31ecc19f118d6e1c822175716b5
This command was run using /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.8.0-1.cdh5.8.0.p0.42/jars/hadoop-common-2.6.0-cdh5.8.0.jar

Also, in the last lines it clearly mentions the hadoop-common.jar which is also the jar containg the error I am getting mentioned in the question. 

Any other suggestions?

Master Guru

HI,

It is likely that the Spark client configuration is not found on this host.

Try doing the following:

1. in Cloudera Manager, go to Spark --> Instances --> Add Role Instances.  Add a Gateway to this host
  2. In Cloudera Manager, go to the Spark service and click the "Actions" menu; choose "Deploy Client Configuration"
  3. Test spark-shell

Based on the error, I think that spark-shell is not able to find an updated version of the client configuration.  If you already have a Gateway, then I'd deploy client configuration and see if that helps.

Regards,

Ben