Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to start namenode

Explorer

I try to start the namenode severa times. but its not starting, so i check the log file. I found the below exception

2017-02-18 15:05:23,548 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: Failed to start namenode.
java.io.IOException: There appears to be a gap in the edit log.  We expected txid 1, but got txid 44.
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.MetaRecoveryContext.editLogLoaderPrompt(MetaRecoveryContext.java:94)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSEditLogLoader.loadEditRecords(FSEditLogLoader.java:215)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSEditLogLoader.loadFSEdits(FSEditLogLoader.java:143)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadEdits(FSImage.java:843)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadFSImage(FSImage.java:698)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:294)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFSImage(FSNamesystem.java:975)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFromDisk(FSNamesystem.java:681)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.loadNamesystem(NameNode.java:585)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:645)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:812)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:796)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1493)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1559)
2017-02-18 15:05:23,552 INFO org.apache.hadoop.util.ExitUtil: Exiting with status 1
2017-02-18 15:05:23,554 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG: 
/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at aruna/127.0.1.1
************************************************************/

It says gap in the edit log. I search the google and still not find any solution ?

All the other deamons are running

aruna@aruna:~/hadoop-2.7.3/sbin$ sudo jps
4177 DataNode
4545 ResourceManager
5042 JobHistoryServer
5605 Jps
4854 NodeManager
4360 SecondaryNameNode
aruna@aruna:~/hadoop-2.7.3/sbin$ 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Aruna Sameera

Check if the service is up or not? It should open port 9000 if you have not changed the value of :

<configuration>
    <property>
        <name>fs.defaultFS</name>
        <value>hdfs://localhost:9000</value>
    </property>
</configuration>

- Check port. If port is not opened then start the service or check configuration if it is supposed to start on 9000 port or not?

netstat -tnlpa | grep 9000

See:

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SingleCluster.html

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Master Mentor

@Aruna Sameera

Try these steps: Stop "SecondaryNameNode" then start it again.

1. On Active NameNode service execute following commands:

# su hdfs
# hdfs dfsadmin -safemode enter
# hdfs dfsadmin -saveNamespace

2. Stop HDFS. Keep the Journal Nodes running.

3. Take a backup of the "Data directory of the NameNode". For example if the NameNode data directory is - "/hadoop/hdfs/namenode", and the backup location is "/tmp" , then following:

# cp   -prf /hadoop/hdfs/namenode/current     /tmp

4. Run "initializeSharedEdits" to sync the edits.

# hdfs namenode -initializeSharedEdits

5. Start the NameNode service, that was active last time.

6. Bootstrap Standby NameNode. This command copies the contents of the Active NameNode's metadata directories (including the namespace information and most recent checkpoint) to the Standby NameNode.

# hdfs namenode -bootstrapStandby

7. Start the Standby NameNode and the rest of HDFS.

Explorer

which bash file use to stop SecondaryNameNode ? Normally i use stop-all.sh to stop the deamons.

Master Mentor

@Aruna Sameera

hadoop-daemon.sh start [namenode | secondarynamenode | datanode | jobtracker | tasktracker]

Explorer

since i got issues continously i delete the hadoop folder using rm - rf command .

Then i try to install from the beginging, when i complete starting deamons it shows as below

aruna@aruna:/tmp$ sudo jps
[sudo] password for aruna: 
12282 Jps
11500 DataNode

Then i check the hadoop-aruna-namenode-aruna.log file

java.net.BindException: Port in use: 0.0.0.0:50070
    at org.apache.hadoop.http.HttpServer2.openListeners(HttpServer2.java:919)
    at org.apache.hadoop.http.HttpServer2.start(HttpServer2.java:856)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeHttpServer.start(NameNodeHttpServer.java:142)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.startHttpServer(NameNode.java:753)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:639)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:812)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:796)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1493)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1559)
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:463)
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:455)
    at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:223)
    at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:74)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:216)
    at org.apache.hadoop.http.HttpServer2.openListeners(HttpServer2.java:914)
    ... 8 more

It tell that the port is already use.? since i delete the old hadoop instalation and clear the temp file how it says port already used/

Master Mentor

@Aruna Sameera

Find the process that is holding the port 50070 and then kill it.

# netstat -tnlpa | grep 50070
tcp        0      0 172.17.0.2:50070            0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      29687/java     

# kill -9 29687

Explorer

Thanks @Jay SenSharma it works for many logs. But hadoop-aruna-datanode-aruna.log log has connection issue.

java.net.ConnectException: Call From aruna/127.0.1.1 to localhost:9000 failed on connection exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused; For more details see:  http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ConnectionRefused    at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor8.newInstance(Unknown Source)    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)    at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.wrapWithMessage(NetUtils.java:792)    at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.wrapException(NetUtils.java:732)    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1479)    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1412)    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:229)    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy14.sendHeartbeat(Unknown Source)    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.DatanodeProtocolClientSideTranslatorPB.sendHeartbeat(DatanodeProtocolClientSideTranslatorPB.java:152)    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.BPServiceActor.sendHeartBeat(BPServiceActor.java:554)    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.BPServiceActor.offerService(BPServiceActor.java:653)    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.BPServiceActor.run(BPServiceActor.java:824)    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused    at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method)    at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:744)    at org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketIOWithTimeout.connect(SocketIOWithTimeout.java:206)    at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.connect(NetUtils.java:531)    at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.connect(NetUtils.java:495)    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.setupConnection(Client.java:614)    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.setupIOstreams(Client.java:712)    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.access$2900(Client.java:375)    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.getConnection(Client.java:1528)    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1451)    ... 8 more 

It says unable to connect 127.0.1.1 to localhost: 9000. How can i resolve this ?

Master Mentor

@Aruna Sameera

Check if the service is up or not? It should open port 9000 if you have not changed the value of :

<configuration>
    <property>
        <name>fs.defaultFS</name>
    </property>
</configuration>

- Check port. If port is not opened then start the service or check configuration if it is supposed to start on 9000 port or not?

netstat -tnlpa | grep 9000

See:

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SingleCluster.html

Explorer

@Jay SenSharma

This is my core-site.xml

<configuration>
<property>
<name>fs.default.name</name>
</property>
</configuration>

in core-site.xml name is "fs.default.name" , not the "fs.defaultFS"

port 9000 is open. I check as below.

aruna@aruna:~/hadoop-2.7.3/sbin$     netstat -tnlpa | grep 9000
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:9000          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      13554/java      
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:58016         127.0.0.1:9000          TIME_WAIT

Explorer

Many Thanks for helping me @Jay SenSharma. I remove all the Hadoop and start again. Now seeem ok.

aruna@aruna:~/hadoop-2.7.3/sbin$ sudo jps
4256 SecondaryNameNode
3921 NameNode
4437 ResourceManager
4918 Jps
4074 DataNode
4876 JobHistoryServer
4733 NodeManager

1) Anywa i have one question, when i ShutDown the my machine and start again do i need to start the deamons everytime ?

Below is the Screenshot of http://localhost:50070 url

12658-screenshot-from-2017-02-20-09-38-00.png

12659-screenshot-from-2017-02-20-09-38-43.png

12660-screenshot-from-2017-02-20-09-39-00.png