Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to view Ambari Alerts page content

Contributor

Hi All,

The configured HDP 2.6.3 cluster with Ambari 2.6 is unable to show contents inside the Alerts page.

Can anyone help me, how to find the RCA for the same?

Attaching screenshot of the Ambari Alerts Page:

109082-1559292125617.png

How to monitor log ? for this Alert page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Rohit Sharma

I suspect your ambari-server is overwhelmed. How long has your installation been in use? You should think of purging some old data.

SELECT table_schema "Database Name", SUM( data_length + index_length)/1024/1024 "Database Size (MB)" 
FROM information_schema.TABLES where table_schema = 'mydb';

The solution of purge ambari history by hortonworks

You should be able to load your page after the above action. use the below statement to get the size of the ambari database

HTH

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Master Mentor

@Rohit Sharma

I suspect your ambari-server is overwhelmed. How long has your installation been in use? You should think of purging some old data.

SELECT table_schema "Database Name", SUM( data_length + index_length)/1024/1024 "Database Size (MB)" 
FROM information_schema.TABLES where table_schema = 'mydb';

The solution of purge ambari history by hortonworks

You should be able to load your page after the above action. use the below statement to get the size of the ambari database

HTH

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot,

The ambari-server DB was created on 2018-09-04 20:10:19.

The size of table schema ambari which belongs to ambari-server is 294 MB. Do you really think I need to purge the schema?

Should the ambari-server schema size have a limit? If it is so How to limit it? OR automate purging?

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot,

The purging saved me.

Thanks a lot for the support.

It would be great if I can automate purging every 6 months, please let me know if there is any way to do it.

The above was originally posted in the Community Help Track. On Tue Jun 4 03:36 UTC 2019, a member of the HCC moderation staff moved it to the Cloud & Operations track. The Community Help Track is intended for questions about using the HCC site itself.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Master Mentor

@Rohit Sharma

In addition to Geoffrey's comment, Can you also tail the "/var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log" and then try to hit the Ambari UI Alert page again and then see if it shows any WARNING / Error there?

When you hit the Alert page in Ambari UI then do you see any error/failure in the Browser debugger console?

Chrome Browser Menu --> More Tools --> Developer Tools --> Console (Tab)

Also please try to open browser in Incognito mode in order to isolate if it has any Browser caching issue?

Also it will be good to see if your Ambari Server is having enough resources like it has sufficient menory..etc. You can refer to the following doc to find out how to check the AmbariServer memory settings and see the current memory usage: https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/131670/ambari-server-performance-tuning-troubleshooting-c...

/usr/jdk64/jdk1.8.0_112/bin/jmap -heap $AMBARI_SERVER_PID

Contributor

@Jay Kumar SenSharma

1st Point ambari-server.log : Error Processing URI: /api/v1/clusters/cluster-name/alerts - (java.lang.NullPointerException) null

109332-1560168120879.png

2nd Incognito Browser- Console (Tab)

109333-1560168322710.png3rd There is enough memory for Ambari-Server to function approx 166GB is Available.

4th With the help of your link above there is no log in ambari server saying exceeded Java Heap Size.

The error in ambari-server is Java Null Pointer Exception null running alerts tab.

Please Suggest.

Master Mentor

@Rohit Sharma

Your recent error indicates that there is some inconsistency in your Ambari DB. Due to this inconsistency the Ambari UI for Alerts page is not showing any alert details.

Error Processing URI: /api/v1/clusters/cluster-name/alerts - (java.lang.NullPointerException) null

You can follow the below article to get this issue fixed.

Please make sure to take a fresh Amabri DB dump for backup purpose before following the below article.

https://community.hortonworks.com/content/supportkb/174817/ambari-alert-page-is-invisible-on-ambari-...

After performing the steps mentioned in the above article please do not forget to restart Ambari Server.

Master Mentor

@Rohit Sharma

Did you find that the below query returned any record in your Ambari DB ? If, yes then that explains about the issue and the above shared article should help in getting it fixed.

select * from alert_current where history_id not in (select alert_id from alert_history);

Contributor

@Jay Kumar SenSharma,

Thanks for the support!!!

Yeah, there was inconsistency in Ambari-Server DB which was not allowing Alert to function on Ambari-UI.

The Ambari-server DB size was grown to 294 MB. By purging the last 6 months from DB and restarting the ambari functioned the Alerts back on Ambari-UI.

Would like to know in detail if this happens on PROD env what measures should be taken as an admin.