Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

What is the best way to get data from a SQL Server onto Microsoft Azure?

Highlighted

What is the best way to get data from a SQL Server onto Microsoft Azure?

New Contributor

So my team and I have been using sqoop. We found the location where the data is supposed to be imported to and we changed the directory to that. Then we ran the import string specifying the location, port, username, password, table to import, and -m 1. After we press enter, it takes a long time to import. One table consists of maybe 4,000 records. Now I have done this previously on a VM before moving to Microsoft Azure. The time it took on the VM was about 10 minutes or less to import. Shouldn't it take about this time? I need suggestions!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: What is the best way to get data from a SQL Server onto Microsoft Azure?

Tim Dobeck

It is not clear whether you mean migrating a SQL Server database to SQL in Azure, HDI, or HDP. I understand that you posted the question to HCC, but the clarification is helpful, also providing some versions. If the first, then, if you need the entire database then a full backup restore is an option, not a reason to use sqoop, there are other ways (SSIS) that SQL Server provides for import/export. If you are talking about HDI then Sqoop should be pretty fast, millions of records in minutes. I am only guessing, you may run HDP on Azure. For that too, I suggest you to test the network between your SQL Server and HDI, segment by segment, upload and download speed. You should not have those challenges to load 4000 records in more than tens of seconds, if that.

Highlighted

Re: What is the best way to get data from a SQL Server onto Microsoft Azure?

Super Guru

Details are important, this should be fast on a decent azure instance