Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Whats the way to Associate technical & business metadata ( data dictionary, model, business glossary, copy book , ddl ) with a folder or dataset

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

@milind pandit

Atlas types can be configured with new attributes that are strongly typed collections. These collections can hold references to other Atlas types. Let's say you wanted to associate a DDL document with a Hive table. You could use the REST API to create a new type called DDL and update the hive_table type to include a new attribute called DDL. The DDL attribute would be typed as DDL type. You would then create a new entity of the DDL type and define it's DDL-Text attribute to contain the DDL statement. You would then update the target hive_table entity's new DDL field with the newly created instance of the DDL entity that contains the DDL text that created the table. When you search for the target hive table entity in Atlas, you will see it has a new field and that field has a link to the DDL entity. You could use this approach to handle any meta data you wish to add to any existing type or custom type.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Guru

@milind pandit

Atlas types can be configured with new attributes that are strongly typed collections. These collections can hold references to other Atlas types. Let's say you wanted to associate a DDL document with a Hive table. You could use the REST API to create a new type called DDL and update the hive_table type to include a new attribute called DDL. The DDL attribute would be typed as DDL type. You would then create a new entity of the DDL type and define it's DDL-Text attribute to contain the DDL statement. You would then update the target hive_table entity's new DDL field with the newly created instance of the DDL entity that contains the DDL text that created the table. When you search for the target hive table entity in Atlas, you will see it has a new field and that field has a link to the DDL entity. You could use this approach to handle any meta data you wish to add to any existing type or custom type.

Rising Star

@Vadim

Can you please point me to steps etc. of how to achieve it- associate business metadata to technical metadata

e.g. how can I associate tag "This is employee table" with technical metadata HIVE_TABLE Employee?

Similarly also need to have a data dictionary/definition for each column.

Is this done through APIs after ingestion? How to achieve it?

Guru

Could you please ask the questions in separate thread with a few more details on what you are trying to achieve? I will do my best to answer/