Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

When creating a view in Hive that includes an Atlas tagged column, why is the view not restricted by the same policy as it's source table?

Guru

When I have a table in Atlas which blocks a user from selecting on the ssn column of table1, I create a view (view1) which has ssn as a column and then I am able to select * on view1 with the user that would have been denied select * on table1.

Is there a way to ensure that all downstream tables / views cary the same policy as their parent?

Or is this the expected and desired behavior?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Vasilis Vagias - In the case of a CTAS operation in hive, tags in Atlas that are associated with the source entities (columns, tables, views etc.) are not propagated to resulting entities in Atlas. This is mostly a function of Atlas not currently providing column level lineage. Both column level lineage as well as tag propagation are roadmap items.

In short, the behavior that you are seeing is expected.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Vasilis Vagias - In the case of a CTAS operation in hive, tags in Atlas that are associated with the source entities (columns, tables, views etc.) are not propagated to resulting entities in Atlas. This is mostly a function of Atlas not currently providing column level lineage. Both column level lineage as well as tag propagation are roadmap items.

In short, the behavior that you are seeing is expected.

Guru

Good to know. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Rising Star

Update: The tag propagation feature (ATLAS-1821) was released as part of HDP 3.0.0.

Explorer

Both column level lineage as well as tag propagation are roadmap items

@Erik Bergenholtz any guess on the release date with this feature ?

If you are in the quest for the best portal to have one of the best web browser so here it is firefox downloads which will meet your all requirements which you may be seeking for. This browser provides exact results to your searches within the short period of time.