Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Where is the log4j.properties that Flume uses?

Explorer

Perhaps a silly question, but I cannot seem to find where Cloudera Manager's Flume service gets it log4j.properties from. I'm currently just looking at the quickstart vm. I can see the "Agent Logging Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve)" and have been able to change some configuration from there, but I'd like to see what the whole file looks like.

All the flume log4j.properties files I can find on the vm don't seem to have any effect on my flume agent and they are all completely different than what it looks like I'm editing.

Could someone point out what I'm missing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The template is probably part of the build and might need a rebuild to change.

However, I am not sure I understand the problem you're trying to solve. What about the current log4j.properties did you want to change?
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Explorer

Okay. Thanks to this post I found copies of it in the /var/run/cloudera-scm-agent/process/... directory. Not what I was hoping for but at least I can see how it's configured.

http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/07/how-does-cloudera-manager-work/

This blog entry explains some of the design and logic behind how Cloudera Manager works. It should help with some of the questions in your post.
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

Explorer

Thanks for the link Gautam. That does help a bit, but I still don't know where cloudera manager is getting its template for the log4j.properties that each flume agent uses in the first place! Could anyone tell me if it possible to edit the "source" log4j.properties directly? So that the safety valves will use the log4j.properties that I created rather than Cloudera Manager's? 

The template is probably part of the build and might need a rebuild to change.

However, I am not sure I understand the problem you're trying to solve. What about the current log4j.properties did you want to change?
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

Explorer

Not necessarily any problem, just experimenting with cloudera manager and our deployment options, etc. Thanks Gautam, that answers my question!

Explorer

Hi Gautam,

Could you please let me know the location of this log4j.properties file, so that I can apply custom settings for my flume application.

Thanks

Bhairav

Countertack

Explorer

Are you talking about the log4j file which are used by flume agents? If yes, they are at /etc/flume-ng/conf folder?