Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Where is the ssh private key file on host machine?

Expert Contributor

Hi, when trying to add a node, ambari asks for the ssh private key and has a "choose file" button which you can navigate through your hosts file system. I created the key and can now access the new node without the need of password. What file is it looking for? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Yes, you should copy the id_rsa file from the sandbox to your Windows host. Alternatively you can copy and paste the contents of id_rsa in to the edit box that says 'ssh private key' like in the screenshot below.

9375-screen-shot-2016-11-11-at-210749.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Expert Contributor

@Roger Young Assuming you are running Ambari as 'root' it will be in ~root/.ssh/id_rsa. If you're running Ambari as a non-root user you will need to set up passworldless SSH for that user so the file will be ~<username>/.ssh/id_rsa.

Expert Contributor

Hi, the "choose file" button in ambari allows me to search my host(windows10) filesystem, but i created the /.ssh/id_rsa file within the sandbox. Have i to copy it to my host?

Expert Contributor

Yes, you should copy the id_rsa file from the sandbox to your Windows host. Alternatively you can copy and paste the contents of id_rsa in to the edit box that says 'ssh private key' like in the screenshot below.

9375-screen-shot-2016-11-11-at-210749.png

Explorer

hi,Terry

Do you have any idea about the usage of id_rsa file

hope your share

Contributor

I am installing HDF on my Ubuntu 16.04. I have single host "localhost" for this installation? What should I mention in both of these fields on this Install Options Screen of Ambari Launch Install Wizard?

• One or more hosts on to which you want you install, specified with an FQDN. ?
  • Your SSH Private Key, or select the option to perform manual registrations on hosts. ?

I am stuck ? Plz suggest a workaround as I dont want to do a manual install for Ambari Agent.

Quick reply shall be appreciated!!!

Expert Contributor

Hi, you need to give your Ubuntu host a domain name which you then add as the FQDN.

For the second part, you need to copy your id_rsa file you created and paste it into the SSh private key box. (It is either the id_rsa or id_rsa.pub, i cant remember), as shown in the image above.