Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Why Custom stack is required or needed ? can you tell me with a use case or example what is the need of custom stack.I can agree there is possibility of using custom stack but i cannot figure out why custom stack is needed ?

Explorer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Deepak k : There are times when the customer needs services beyond the HDP stack available. In such scenarios, he may choose to have custom services.

I found an interesting one here :

https://github.com/hortonworks-gallery/ambari-vnc-service

It says it is :

An Ambari Stack service package for VNC Server with the ability to install developer tools like Eclipse/IntelliJ/Maven as well to 'remote desktop' to the sandbox and quickly start developing on HDP Hadoop

Like you can see, it gives a lot of flexibility to the customer to write custom code on top of HDP code to help his individual use case. Keeping hadoop as open as possible 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Super Guru
@Deepak k

Many times customers build their applications on top of Hadoop or something working right alongside Hadoop. It would be very useful, if they can leverage Ambari to monitor/manage those applications from Ambari and take full advantage of the feature set provided by Ambari. You'd be surprised but this one of the extensively used feature and quite a number of customers ask for it.

Explorer

@mqureshi : Thanks for the quick reply. I wish to create a own custom stack with services "HDFS", "HIVE" is that possible in Ambari server?

@Deepak k

Are you referring to HDP (Hortonworks Data Platform) as a custom stack?

Explorer

@Ryan Cicak

Yes , Exactly.

Ambari server comes with common-service and HDP extends the common-services of ambari and provides services like HDFS,HBASE,HIVE,ZooKeeper ,etc., Why can't the custom stack also do the same , I mean create a custom stack named "Test" and extends the services. I have tried the above , but facing many issues and getting HDFS services in the custom stack. So I feel real intention of custom stack is different, Please through more light

Expert Contributor

@Deepak k : There are times when the customer needs services beyond the HDP stack available. In such scenarios, he may choose to have custom services.

I found an interesting one here :

https://github.com/hortonworks-gallery/ambari-vnc-service

It says it is :

An Ambari Stack service package for VNC Server with the ability to install developer tools like Eclipse/IntelliJ/Maven as well to 'remote desktop' to the sandbox and quickly start developing on HDP Hadoop

Like you can see, it gives a lot of flexibility to the customer to write custom code on top of HDP code to help his individual use case. Keeping hadoop as open as possible 🙂

Explorer

@sbhat : Thanks for the quick reply. I wish to create a own custom stack with services "HDFS", "HIVE" is that possible in Ambari server?

Super Guru

@Deepak k

You may find Ambari Blueprints helpful? It is not the same thing as defining a stack, but it does offer a lot of control over which components are installed and where.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Blueprints

Ambari Blueprints are a declarative definition of a cluster. With a Blueprint, you specify a Stack, the Component layout and the Configurations to materialize a Hadoop cluster instance (via a REST API) without having to use the Ambari Cluster Install Wizard.