Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Why/How is hive replication through BDR "single-threaded"

Re: Why/How is hive replication through BDR "single-threaded"

Explorer
Hello bgooley,

Thanks for your suggestion. I am re-reading the docs and I still think it tells me to add a CM peer any time I want to do a BDR replication, but I can accept that maybe my reading of the docs is wrong.

I have been re-trying my tests without a peered CM but was not able to improve the situation.

In the meantime we have taken a different track and started to use a new cluster as the target with a new Cloudera Manager and BDR seems to be working for that.

Super Guru

@alexmc6,

A peer is normally only created if replicating from a cluster that has another Cloudera Manager.

If you have two clusters using the same Cloudera Manager, your replication schedule should let you choose which Hive server and cluster will be the source and target.

If that isn't working out, please show a screen shot of what selections are availavble in your replication schedule.

Super Guru

@alexmc6,

I talked with the Cloudera engineering team and indeed, you are not supposed to create a peer from/to the same CM instance.  In fact, our UI blocks that unless you trick it by using a different hostname or ip address.

We will work on improving our documentaiton to explain how to replicate between clusters managed by the same Cloudera Manager.

If you have any follow-up questions, we're happy to help.

Ben

Explorer
Thanks for the information!