Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Why Impala Admission Control root.[username] is not recommended?

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted

Why Impala Admission Control root.[username] is not recommended?

Explorer

Hi,

I'm setting up Impala Admission Control.

For the user.<username> placement rules, there is "Not recommended" remark "Use the resource pool that matches the username. (Not Recommended)"

(https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-16-x/topics/cm_mc_resource_pools.html)

In my use-case, specific limitation for a set (a dozen) of users should be applied. At the same time the group management is relatively hard, therefore, I would prefer the root.[username] approach.

I would like to better understand the drawbacks of this approach: are there any technical limitations from Impala point of view, or it is just a bad practice due to it is harder to maintain&support&manage (from Administrator's perspective)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why Impala Admission Control root.[username] is not recommended?

Master Collaborator

If you have more than a handful of users it becomes difficult to manage the large number of pools. Resource limits are also of limited use - you can limit the total consumption per user, but you can't guarantee that any group of users gets memory.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Why Impala Admission Control root.[username] is not recommended?

Master Collaborator

If you have more than a handful of users it becomes difficult to manage the large number of pools. Resource limits are also of limited use - you can limit the total consumption per user, but you can't guarantee that any group of users gets memory.