Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Why does write.mode("append") cause spark to create hundreds of tasks?

Expert Contributor

Hi all,

I'm performing a write operation to a postgres database in spark. The dataframe has 44k rows and is in 4 partitions. But the spark job takes 20mins+ to complete. Looking at the logs (attached) I see the map stage is the bottleneck where over 600+ tasks are created. Does anyone have any insight into why this might be and how I could resolve the performance issue? I've also included a screenshot of my cluster metrics.

Thanks,

Mike

77623-log.png

77625-clustermetrics.png

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor

I think I've found the issue, the hive table I query to create the data frame has the same number of underlying HDFS blocks. Merging these together has improved performance, although it still takes 5mins to complete.

Master Guru

Try a map over partition and have each partition write several hundred/thousands of rows to pg.

Expert Contributor
@sunile.manjee

Are you referring to mappartition() (http://apachesparkbook.blogspot.com/2015/11/mappartition-example.html) ?...Could you provide an example of how i might apply this?

thx

mike

Master Guru

yes that is it. Basically inside the iterator you would create a large insert statement.

INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES
    ('B6717', 'Tampopo', 110, '1985-02-10', 'Comedy'),
    ('HG120', 'The Dinner Game', 140, DEFAULT, 'Comedy');

Your column names can come from the dataframe and the values are from the dataframe it self. therefore nothing is hard coded and you can reuse this code for virtually any database which uses ansi sql inserts.