Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Why is there no option to create hdfs working directories for Ambari users?

Cloudera Employee

I have been repeatedly asked why there is no option to create a HDFS working directory during the creation of an Ambari user. I have explained the creation of a working directory requires access to the hdfs user. But it does seems this could be handled through programming. After all we are creating the user while we are the Ambari admin and generally as the cluster admin as well. Is there a practical reason for this situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor
4 REPLIES 4

Contributor

AMbari can create user home directory when you create new user in Ambari - https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.5.2.0/bk_ambari-administration/content/create_use...

Cloudera Employee

Kartik, thank you very much. This is an important change to my presentations. I will incorporate it into my next class.

Cloudera Employee

We should build this into the Ambari web UI, perhaps as a check box on the bottom of the add user form. This will allow the Ambari admin to determine if they require the Ambari user account to have a working directory in HDFS at the time of user create.

New Contributor

I have a question. To use this function, should I install hadoop client on ambari-sever host?