Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Will removing data from /apps/hbase/data/.hbck directory be a good option?

Rising Star

The situation is that disk space has been pretty much used up. And we found the data size under HDFS folder '/apps/hbase/data/.hbck' is quite large.

We're thinking of removing these data but not sure if it's good or not?

I think these data are the backup for offline meta repair. If my understanding is correct, removing the data means we don't have the option to do offline meta repair later on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

yes you are right, .hbck is for offline meta repair. I guess you know the hbck tool:

To check to see if your HBase cluster has corruptions, run hbck against your HBase cluster:

$ ./bin/hbase hbck

At the end of the commands output it prints OK or tells you the number of INCONSISTENCIES present.

As you said after the deletion you don't have the option to do a offline meta repair, but in my opinion I would still keep the fail and delete some other stuff.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Collaborator

If in doubt, you could decrease the replication factor for that folder to 2 or even 1 (although this 1 is kind of risky).

Hi,

yes you are right, .hbck is for offline meta repair. I guess you know the hbck tool:

To check to see if your HBase cluster has corruptions, run hbck against your HBase cluster:

$ ./bin/hbase hbck

At the end of the commands output it prints OK or tells you the number of INCONSISTENCIES present.

As you said after the deletion you don't have the option to do a offline meta repair, but in my opinion I would still keep the fail and delete some other stuff.