Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Yarn queue has fair ordering policy only on leaf queues

Explorer

I try to run two Yarn queues where if only one queue is active it will consume all the resources and once a job will arrive to the second queue Yarn will preempt some of the resources of the first queue to start the second job.

For that I follow the manual written YARN Preemption with Spark using a Fair Policy but for some reason only the leaf queues has the option of fair ordering policy. In fact the selection for ordering policy doesn't exist at all on non leaf queue.

I am running on hdp version: 2.6.3.0-235

I have followed the instruction perfectly on the manual.

I have also tried manually set the fair policy in 'Scheduler' tab of Yarn, when I do that Yarn crashes and would not start.

What can I do?

Screenshot are attached

57392-fair-scheduling-enabled.png

57393-fair-scheduling-disabled-1.png

57394-fair-scheduling-disabled-2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Anton P

You are doing everything just fine, this is by design. The "Ordering Policy" can indeed only be set for leaf queues, because it defines the ordering policy between applications in the same queue. So it has nothing to do with your use case.

"I try to run two Yarn queues where if only one queue is active it will consume all the resources and once a job will arrive to the second queue Yarn will preempt some of the resources of the first queue to start the second job."

To achieve this, you need to configure your queues like this (I think, you already did this):

yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.queues=test1,test2
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test1.capacity=50
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test1.maximum-capacity=100
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test2.capacity=50
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test2.maximum-capacity=100

and enable preemption (as described in the article you attached). This will let the first application in the first queue to use all the resources, until the second job arrives to the second queue, then the resources will be devided equally between the two queues.

Hope this makes everything clear, give it a try 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

@Anton P

You are doing everything just fine, this is by design. The "Ordering Policy" can indeed only be set for leaf queues, because it defines the ordering policy between applications in the same queue. So it has nothing to do with your use case.

"I try to run two Yarn queues where if only one queue is active it will consume all the resources and once a job will arrive to the second queue Yarn will preempt some of the resources of the first queue to start the second job."

To achieve this, you need to configure your queues like this (I think, you already did this):

yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.queues=test1,test2
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test1.capacity=50
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test1.maximum-capacity=100
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test2.capacity=50
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test2.maximum-capacity=100

and enable preemption (as described in the article you attached). This will let the first application in the first queue to use all the resources, until the second job arrives to the second queue, then the resources will be devided equally between the two queues.

Hope this makes everything clear, give it a try 🙂

Explorer

@gnovak thx for the answer, I was able to make it work according to your explanation with one small addition.

I did have to allow excessive queue usage with:

yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.test1.user-limit-factor=2

I have another question, I tried to define test2 to be fair and submit two application to it, but no preemption has happened and one app simply took 100% of the queue. I tried posting from different users and everything but couldn't make it happen. Is there another configuration I need to set for it to work?

Expert Contributor

@Anton P I'm glad it works.

I'm not sure how exactly the "fair" ordering policy works inside one queue, but preemption is only for between queues. I assume, that it will try to give resources to the applications/users in the same queue equally, but once a container is running it will not preempt it. If you would like to achieve that, you should consider creating sub-queues.