Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

deleted many files (70G +), but no space was released according to hdfs dfs -du -h

deleted many files (70G +), but no space was released according to hdfs dfs -du -h

New Contributor

Hi,

I deleted many files from a hdfs subfolder, but no space was released according to hdfs dfs -du -h /hdfs_folder. The files deleted were above 70G, and with 3 replica, 210G space should be released, but in dfs -du output, there was no change at all.

Now about 18 hours passed, and I changed the following parameters on Cloudera, but there was still no change.

changed fs.trash.interval from 1 day to 20 minutes (from 1440 to 20)

changed fs.trash.checkpoint.interval from 1 hour to 20 minutes (from 60 to 20)

The other question is the size I calculated on each files size is 2TB less on bigger folder on which -du shows 8.4TB. How can I find which space has been used for other purposes? Thanks.

du output:

$ hdfs dfs -du -h /folder1

97.3 G 292.0 G /folder1/folder2

Below is the command I used:

1. list the files/folder, then based on the output, I calculated the total size of the files/folders deleted

hdfs dfs -ls -R /$hdfs_folder

output of the above command. I used size 4008 column to add the sizes of each files

-rw-r--r-- 3 ayasdi supergroup 4008 2018-03-07 18:48 /folder1/folder2/folder3

2. Delete folders

sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -rm -r -skipTrash $folder

1 REPLY 1

Re: deleted many files (70G +), but no space was released according to hdfs dfs -du -h

New Contributor

I also ran expunge several times, but there is no change in the hdfs dfs -du output.

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -expunge