Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

disk full, cannot delete files because safemode is on

Expert Contributor

Hi,

It looks like i reached the memory limit for my sandbox. However i can't delete files since the Safemode is On. So i tried to turn it off manually with :

hdfs dfsadmin -safemode leave

but it makes nothing. From what i understood, it is because the memory is still full when i turn it off so the system immediatly goes back to safemode.

How can i delete some files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
@Lubin Lemarchand

You first need to check which and all process are using more amount of memory. You can get using below command -

1. Issue command #top

2. press 'm'

3. check for top 2-3 processes in column '%MEM'

Also i will suggest to check free memory using 'free -m' command-

Most of the time memory us getting catched up. You can remove cache using below command -

#echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

For deleting files you can , delete all log files for hadoop located in /var/log/hadoop/<application-name>

Do let me know if it works.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru
@Lubin Lemarchand

You first need to check which and all process are using more amount of memory. You can get using below command -

1. Issue command #top

2. press 'm'

3. check for top 2-3 processes in column '%MEM'

Also i will suggest to check free memory using 'free -m' command-

Most of the time memory us getting catched up. You can remove cache using below command -

#echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

For deleting files you can , delete all log files for hadoop located in /var/log/hadoop/<application-name>

Do let me know if it works.

Expert Contributor

@Sagar Shimpi

Thank you very much.

Master Mentor
@Lubin Lemarchand

Go to ambari dashboard and stop the services that you don't need and turn on the maintenance mode for them.

then to save time, restart the vm.

Expert Contributor
@Neeraj Sabharwal

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately i can't access ambari dashboard. For some reason, the username/password i've been using for one month doesn't work anymore. I thought it was related to this safemode thing but apparently it wasn't..