Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

do not have permission to access hdfs from zeppelin.

do not have permission to access hdfs from zeppelin.

New Contributor

using hive in zepplin, 

LOAD DATA INPATH '/user/maria_dev/drivers.txt' OVERWRITE INTO TABLE dataapr;

getting the following error. 

java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask. org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Access denied: Unable to move source hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020/user/maria_dev/drivers.txt to destination hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020/warehouse/tablespace/managed/hive/dataapr/base_0000004: Permission denied: user=hive, access=WRITE, inode="/user/maria_dev":maria_dev:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x
	at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.waitForOperationToComplete(HiveStatement.java:401)
	at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.execute(HiveStatement.java:266)
	at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:291)
	at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:291)
	at org.apache.zeppelin.jdbc.JDBCInterpreter.executeSql(JDBCInterpreter.java:718)
	at org.apache.zeppelin.jdbc.JDBCInterpreter.interpret(JDBCInterpreter.java:801)
	at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.interpret(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:103)
	at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:633)
	at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:188)
	at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.ParallelScheduler$JobRunner.run(ParallelScheduler.java:162)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

in the ambari files view  i can see that the permission for hdfs is "drw------". can you please help me change the permission or show me the correct method.

1 REPLY 1

Re: do not have permission to access hdfs from zeppelin.

New Contributor

I don't know if its the right answer but I got it to work by uploading the data into /tmp folder and then giving permissions to the data.