Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hbase with phoenix: upsert 'new value' to existing null column doesn't have any effect

New Contributor

Hello everybody,

I'm facing with a very weird behaviour with an UPSERT instruction: the operation doesn't have effect on columns that was previously stored with null value;

I have 'tab1' defined as

create table IF NOT EXISTS tab1(id VARCHAR not null, eventdate TIMESTAMP not null, category VARCHAR, history VARBINARY);

UPSERT into tab1(id,eventdate,category,history) values ('id1',to_timestamp('2022-10-20 00:00:00.0','test',null);

now I just try to execute the following statement:

UPSERT into tab1(id,eventdate,category,history) values ('id1',to_timestamp('2022-10-20 00:00:00.0','edited test','ABC');

this is the resulting table:

SELECT * FROM tab1

+-----+-----------------------+-------------+---------+

| id  |        eventdate      |  category   | history |

| id1 | 2022-10-20 00:00:00.0 | edited test |         |

I've tryied many times and in different way (upserting from select, upserting different values) but anything doesn't works and 'history' column keep his original "null value"

does it depends on some property/configuration/anything?

can anybody help me to solve this issue?

I've also found a different 3d on this forum, but the answer doesn't give me any help

https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Support-Questions/Apache-Phoenix-Upsert-not-working-while-trying-t... )

thank you all

UPDATE: this issue is present only on some records, I've tried the UPSERT on some other "fake" records and the statement works perfectly!

2 REPLIES 2

New Contributor

up

Contributor

Hi,

This a BUG from Phoenix 

if I use upsert with null value, it "insert" the field with 0x00 0x00 bytes values and we cannot change

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-6583

Please check the above BUG jira