Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hive desc table throw SemanticException [Error 10072]: Database does not exist: xxx (state=42000,code=10072)

New Contributor

In ranger, I have already gave the select permission of certain hive table, and read, execute permission on hdfs path of the table. To make a example:

set read, execute permission on path /apps/hive/warehouse/testdb.db/table1 to account

set select permission on hive table 'table1' on all columns to account

When I do the command:

"show tables in testdb.db;" or "desc testdb.table1"

I get the Error from hive client:

Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10072]: Database does not exist: dwd (state=42000,code=10072)

When I check the 'hivemetastore.log', it shows the query requires the read permission on path '/apps/hive/warehouse/testdb.db'

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(org.apache.ranger.authorization.hadoop.exceptions.RangerAccessControlException): Permission denied: user=xxx, access=READ, inode="/apps/hive/warehouse/testdb.db"

The problem is, I only want to grant the permission of the table to this account. From my experience I don't need such database path permission to use 'desc' command on the table. What could be the problem?

4 REPLIES 4

Explorer

Can you check in ranger audit if it blocked and ranger or HDFS ACL ?

New Contributor

thanks for your reply, the enforcer is ranger-acl. 

Explorer

it means permissions not applied. can you grant again and check rangeradmin log for any error ? 

New Contributor
I think the ranger action should be right, since it denies at the path '/apps/hive/warehouse/testdb.db', I only granted the user hdfs permission to the table path '/apps/hive/warehouse/testdb.db/table1'. I don't understand why it need the read permission to the database directory to do a desc on a table. Since with my ranger setting, I can do select on the table with no problem. It's just that I cannot do "desc" command on this table.