Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hive install failure via ambari

Contributor

Hi experts,

I am trying to deploy a cluster with the apache bigtops package via ambari.

I was able to deploy the basic components such as hdfs, yarn, mapreduce, and zookeeper via ambari.

Now I am trying to install hive.

I am able to install hive through the command line with "yum install hive*"

Ambari is currently failing to install hcatalog.

Looking at the ambari logs, I noticed this error:
resource_management.core.exceptions.ExecutionFailed: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install hcatalog' returned 1. Error: Nothing to do

However, when installing via command line, I am able to install hcatalog with

"yum install hive-hcatalog"

Can someone please let me know how I can have ambari run the command 

/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install hive-hcatalog

instead of 
/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install hcatalog

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

ok so I finally figured out how to have ambari run the command 

I had to modify the file:

/var/lib/ambari-server/resources/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/metainfo.xml

under the <osSpecifics> tag.

Restarted ambari and then ambari was able to run the correct command to have hive installed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Collaborator

@ryu Can you confirm Ambari version

share the stack trace of the error

Contributor

@Scharan 

Ambari Version 2.6.1.0

Here is the error I see in ambari when it is trying to install the components.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hcat_client.py", line 79, in <module>
    HCatClient().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 375, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hcat_client.py", line 35, in install
    self.install_packages(env)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 821, in install_packages
    retry_count=agent_stack_retry_count)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/base.py", line 166, in __init__
    self.env.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run
    self.run_action(resource, action)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action
    provider_action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/__init__.py", line 53, in action_install
    self.install_package(package_name, self.resource.use_repos, self.resource.skip_repos)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/yumrpm.py", line 264, in install_package
    self.checked_call_with_retries(cmd, sudo=True, logoutput=self.get_logoutput())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/__init__.py", line 266, in checked_call_with_retries
    return self._call_with_retries(cmd, is_checked=True, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/__init__.py", line 283, in _call_with_retries
    code, out = func(cmd, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 72, in inner
    result = function(command, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 102, in checked_call
    tries=tries, try_sleep=try_sleep, timeout_kill_strategy=timeout_kill_strategy)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 150, in _call_wrapper
    result = _call(command, **kwargs_copy)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 303, in _call
    raise ExecutionFailed(err_msg, code, out, err)
resource_management.core.exceptions.ExecutionFailed: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install hcatalog' returned 1. Error: Nothing to do

Contributor

ok so I finally figured out how to have ambari run the command 

I had to modify the file:

/var/lib/ambari-server/resources/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/metainfo.xml

under the <osSpecifics> tag.

Restarted ambari and then ambari was able to run the correct command to have hive installed.