Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

hive seg faulting

hive seg faulting

New Contributor

Hi,

I have cdh4 with hue, hive... all set up using the cloudera documentation. If I use hue to run hive queries they run fine, but if I try the hive cli, I can run show tables, show databases, but if I run a select it never returns. After attaching gdb to the hive cli and then running a select gives me the following segfault:

(gdb) c
Continuing.
[New Thread 0x7f68acbe8700 (LWP 23166)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7f68b2b74700 (LWP 23132)]
0x00007f68b32cce68 in InterpreterRuntime::exception_handler_for_exception(JavaThread*, oopDesc*) ()
   from /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre/lib/amd64/server/libjvm.so

I get no log entries in the metastore or server2 logs for hive and no error messages on the hive command line. I installed from the cloudera apt source on debian squeeze.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
2 REPLIES 2

Re: hive seg faulting

Master Guru
Try re-running your query after starting the Hive CLI with a "-hiveconf hive.root.logger=DEBUG,console" added along as an argument. This will show what it is hanging at.

If you're unable to spot the reason, do pastebin/share the log with us and we can help you further based on what's present in it.

Re: hive seg faulting

New Contributor
Thanks Harsh, The problem ended up being zookeeper nodes having trouble communicating with each other, easy to find and fix once I knew how to turn on debugging :-)