Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hiveCLI not working with tez but works with mapreduce

Contributor

Hi experts,

I am having issues accessing the hive CLI when using tez but it works with mapreduce.

I get the following error:

[root@test02 ~]# hive
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Djava.awt.headless=true
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=512m; support was removed in 8.0
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Djava.awt.headless=true
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=512m; support was removed in 8.0
log4j:WARN No such property [maxFileSize] in org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.

Logging initialized using configuration in file:/etc/hive/2.6.1.0-129/0/hive-log4j.properties
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.tez.dag.api.SessionNotRunning: TezSession has already shutdown. No cluster diagnostics found.
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:560)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:681)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:625)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:233)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:148)
Caused by: org.apache.tez.dag.api.SessionNotRunning: TezSession has already shutdown. No cluster diagnostics found.
at org.apache.tez.client.TezClient.waitTillReady(TezClient.java:699)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.tez.TezSessionState.open(TezSessionState.java:218)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.tez.TezSessionState.open(TezSessionState.java:116)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:557)
... 8 more
[root@test02 ~]#

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8

Super Collaborator

Hi, This seems to be a generic error, can you upload complete HS2 logs where you can see these exceptions?

Is beeline works with Tez?

Contributor

Thanks @ChethanYM for the reply.

I did find this error in the application log

2021-03-18 10:33:27,963 [INFO] [main] |app.DAGAppMaster|: Comparing client version with AM version, clientVersion=0.7.0.2.6.1.0-129, AMVersion=0.8.4.2.6.1.0-129
2021-03-18 10:33:27,964 [ERROR] [main] |app.DAGAppMaster|: Incompatible versions found, clientVersion=0.7.0.2.6.1.0-129, AMVersion=0.8.4.2.6.1.0-129

Not exactly sure how to resolve this

Contributor

Sorry forgot to mention that this does work with beeline and I assume it is using tez because I have it set to tez in the hive.execution.engine.

The error above is in regards to hiveCLI only and in the application logs there seems to be some version mismatch which I am not exactly sure how to resolve.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

@ryu  Are you able to connect to beeline? And can you make sure that the output of the below command has all components pointing to the current version in your cluster:

hdp-select

Here is the command help:

https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.1.2.1/bk_upgrading_Ambari/content/_Run_HDP_Select_ma...

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I don't know which version of hive you are running, but hive-cli has been deprecated:

In HDP 3.0 and later, Hive does not support the following features:

• Apache Hadoop Distributed Copy (DistCp)
  • WebHCat
  • Hcat CLI
  • Hive CLI (replaced by Beeline)
  • SQL Standard Authorization
  • MapReduce execution engine (replaced by Tez)

Contributor

Thanks @isoardi 

We currently have hive 1.2.

Since hiveCLI is deprecated and as long as beeline or hiveserver2 works, then I should probably not bother fixing or worrying about hiveCLI right?
This is a sandbox cluster and using this cluster to prepare to eventually upgrade the production cluster.

Thanks,

Expert Contributor

Hi, yes it's right.

I don't recommend using the sandbox for testing of any upgrades of a production environment.
Many times the the sendbox env have been very sundry from the stnadard installed environments.

The sandbox is designed to understand the technology, but in your case I recommend having a test environment at scale compared to the production one, with the same versions and topology.

Contributor

@isoardi 
oh this is a cluster that I can use to test upgrades etc.
But I did install HDP 2.6.x onto this cluster which is similar to our production environment.