Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hiveserver2 out of memory - what settings to use

Our instance of hiveserver2 has been running out of memory about once per day requiring a restart. The machines running hive serve2 have 52gb of memory, but is there some kind of rule of thumb on how much memory to allocate, based on machine size??

ps ax | grep -i hiveserver2 returns:

hive 14668 1 0 Feb02 ? 00:02:16 /usr//bin/java -Xmx256m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dhdp.version=2.3.4.7-4 -Dhdp.version=2.3.4.7-4 -Dhadoop.log.dir=/usr/hdp/2.3.4.7-4/hadoop/logs -Dhadoop.log.file=hadoop.log -Dhadoop.home.dir=/usr/hdp/2.3.4.7-4/hadoop -Dhadoop.id.str= -Dhadoop.root.logger=INFO,console -Djava.library.path=:/usr/hdp/2.3.4.7-4/hadoop/lib/native/Linux-amd64-64:/usr/hdp/2.3.4.7-4/hadoop/lib/native -Dhadoop.policy.file=hadoop-policy.xml -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dhadoop.security.logger=INFO,NullAppender org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar /usr/hdp/2.3.4.7-4/hive/lib/hive-service-1.2.1.2.3.4.7-4.jar org.apache.hive.service.server.HiveServer2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Maxwell Flanders

Rule of thumb varies on your specific use case. How many users are connecting concurrently? Regardless 256 MB is very low.

Bump it to at least 4GB and see if this resolves your issue. Change -Xmx256m to -Xmx4096m. I was able to find recommended values for HS2. Use this as a guideline:

Up to 20 concurrent connections 6 GB
Up to 10 concurrent connections 4 GB
Single connection 2 GB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Guru

@Maxwell Flanders

Rule of thumb varies on your specific use case. How many users are connecting concurrently? Regardless 256 MB is very low.

Bump it to at least 4GB and see if this resolves your issue. Change -Xmx256m to -Xmx4096m. I was able to find recommended values for HS2. Use this as a guideline:

Up to 20 concurrent connections 6 GB
Up to 10 concurrent connections 4 GB
Single connection 2 GB

That worked perfectly, thank you!