Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

how to add an existing hadoop cluster with running services to ambari ui?

New Contributor

Scenario: i have made a cluster having 3 nodes running hadoop services and all of the consoles (i.e) oozie,hbase,namenode,hadoop etc and everything is working fine . I just want that cluster to migrate to ambari server ui so i can see all the services running in the cluster in a unified place (i.e) ambari-server ui .

Question: can a cluster with existing hadoop,zookeeper,yarn.... etc services be migrated to ambari-server's ui? (Ambari creates a cluster from scratch by using blueprints as default)
2 REPLIES 2

New Contributor

can i achieve this using cli? i need to automate it but first i would like to know if it is possible

Super Collaborator

You need to install the Ambari Agent on the machines, then configure the configuration in the /var/lib/ambari-agent/ folder to point at the Ambari Server, then you can add a host and manually register it.

At this point Ambari can monitor the hosts, but not the Hadoop services. You can follow the above steps for any server, not just Hadoop.

The caveat for managing the Hadoop services is that the HDP Stack requires a specific layout for Java and Hadoop packages.

JAVA_HOME needs to be symlinked into /usr/default/java/

If you want to manage a Hadoop installation, it needs to follow the layout for the stack that Ambari is managing. For example, in HDP, the Hadoop libraries are all installed under /usr/hdp/current and /usr/hdp/<hdp.version> .. For you to start/stop/configure your services, then the files must be located here. Also, Ambari prefers that you have a user account for each service. So, hadoop, oozie, yarn, and hbase are all user accounts that own each of the corresponding installation locations.

So, without knowing how you've installed things, I would say it's not easily possible to add Ambari to a non-Ambari installed cluster. However, that doesn't mean you can't backup the Ambari database, oozie database, & Hive metastore, unmount the datanode volumes, snapshot the Hbase tables, etc. Then you can restore those onto an Ambari installed cluster.

Take a Tour of the Community
Don't have an account?
Your experience may be limited. Sign in to explore more.