Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

how to read csv have comma in cell and new line character as well

how to read csv have comma in cell and new line character as well . like i have somme columns with description (hi,how are you).

i am trying to read with spark in scala .

please guide

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

Can you use sqoop to retrieve the data directly from the database and dump it into Hive? That will solve your delimiter problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Contributor

I would recommend not using CSV in your case. If you have commas in the fields then you can't really delimit them with commas because, as you have noticed, you will have field breaks in the middle of a field.

Can you get the source data exported some other way?

Right and Thank You. What format you suggest?

do you think ? does it work if i copy file direct into mysql then replace commas and after read with spark?

Contributor

Where is the data coming from? You could use a binary format like Avro or Parquet if your source system can export that way. If you MUST have a text file with a delimiter, you need a delimiter that is not anywhere in the data.

it is coming from oracle database

Contributor

Can you use sqoop to retrieve the data directly from the database and dump it into Hive? That will solve your delimiter problem.

great option. Thank You Very Much 🙂

New Contributor

Have you tried using openSerde In DDL?

Create Table tablename(columns)

ROW FORMAT SERDE 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.OpenCSVSerde';

Thanks,

Manoj

actually, i am getting file from ftp and reading using spark. i didn't try to push directly to hive because some enrichment i have to made. this is a big problem for me.

Thanks