Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

is it safe editing hst-server.ini directly over running hst setup?

Master Mentor

I'd like to know if modifying hst-server.ini file directly rather than running hst setup has any unintended consequences. I just edited the file and I see that changes took effect in SmartSense UI. The goal is to run a bash script and change configuration to automate smartsense setup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

If it is not ambari managed cluster, then you must change the configs on HST server. They are auto pushed to Agents during capture. Any local changes on agents will be overwritten by server configs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rising Star

It is not. Safer way is to change it in Ambari and restart for configurations to apply. Manual changes may get overwritten by Ambari and/or HST servers configurations.

Master Mentor

Thank you for the response @sheetal, this is not an Ambari managed cluster, I have to run "hst setup". I was just wondering if by doing so I would create some issues.

@Paul Codding

confirmed that I will require an HST restart after I'm done editing the file.

Master Mentor

@sheetal do you see any other issues besides Ambari overwriting the values?

Rising Star

If it is not ambari managed cluster, then you must change the configs on HST server. They are auto pushed to Agents during capture. Any local changes on agents will be overwritten by server configs.