Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

%jdbc(hive) prefix not found in Zeppelin

I am going through the following lab:

and in paragraph 6.2 (execute a hive query) I am trying to run the following code in Zeppelin: %jbdc(hive) SELECT * FROM riskfactor

When I execute this code I run into the error "prefix not found". What am I doing wrong here. This seems pretty straightforward.




Accepted Solutions

Make sure you are running the latest HDP 2.5 Sandbox. I've just tested it and I had no "prefix not found" related issues.

View solution in original post


I've had the same error. Would appreciate help. Thanks in advance.


Give this a try


Sorry @Greg Keys but the turorial explicitly states to use %jdbc(hive) for connecting to hive. After SELECT * FROM riskfactor the scipt should show data from the table. After that the tutorial shows that a graph can be made, but I run into this error.


Give it a try and let me know what happens. I tested it successfully on the latest sandbox. Sometimes updates to the tutorials are delayed -- the latest sandbox itself came out last week

The following worked. Thanks @Greg Keys for the tip. I had to use finalresults instead of riskfactor. The latter didn't give me data. Not sure if I have missed something there. @Robbert Naastepad would be great to know if riskfactor has data for you. Thanks.


SELECT * FROM finalresults

Hello Cindy, I had to use the finalresults table also. Riskfactor is empty after the Spark tutorial.



Thank you for the confirmation @Robbert Naastepad

Hi @Greg Keys,

%hive works as it should, but I was hoping the tutorial would go into using a JDBC driver also. Anyway, thanks for the answer. At least I was able to play around with the graphs in Zeppelin.

Regards, Robbert



Try this link if you want to explore using the jdbc driver:

(Also, if you find my answer provided what you were looking for, let me know by accepting 🙂 )