Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

kafka-console-producer not working in HDP 2.5/Kafka 0.10

I have installed Kafka in HDP 2.5 cluster.

bin/kafka-console-producer.sh seems to get stuck and doesn't produce a test message. I have tried the following command, none of them seems to work

usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker$ bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list ip-172-31-103-20.us-west-2.compute.internal:6667 --topic test

usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker$ bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list localhost:6667 --topic test

usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker$ bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list ip-172-31-103-20.us-west-2.compute.internal:6667 --topic test --security-protocol PLAINTEXT

I have verified that the listener property in /etc/kafka/conf/server.properties on the broker host is correct (listeners=PLAINTEXT://ip-172-31-103-20.us-west-2.compute.internal:6667)

I have also tried uncommenting the following three lines in kafka-console-producer.sh script but that doesn't help either

#KAFKA_JAAS_CONF=$KAFKA_HOME/config/kafka_jaas.conf
#if [ -f $KAFKA_JAAS_CONF ]; then
#    export KAFKA_CLIENT_KERBEROS_PARAMS="-Djava.security.auth.login.config=$KAFKA_HOME/config/kafka_client_jaas.conf"
#fi

Could someone help me debug this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi Anurag,

Could you please try sending a test message after running the producer and also run a consumer and provide the output.

For example:

1. usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker$ bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list ip-172-31-103-20.us-west-2.compute.internal:6667--topic test
  2. Send any test message like "Hello world"
  3. Run consumer for example: usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker$ kafka-console-consumer.sh --zookeeper <zookeeper_host>:2181 --topic test --from-beginning
  4. Provide the output. The expected behavior is that the consumer will consume the message "Hello World" and you should be able to see it in the console.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor

Hi Anurag,

Could you please try sending a test message after running the producer and also run a consumer and provide the output.

For example:

1. usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker$ bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list ip-172-31-103-20.us-west-2.compute.internal:6667--topic test
  2. Send any test message like "Hello world"
  3. Run consumer for example: usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker$ kafka-console-consumer.sh --zookeeper <zookeeper_host>:2181 --topic test --from-beginning
  4. Provide the output. The expected behavior is that the consumer will consume the message "Hello World" and you should be able to see it in the console.

Thanks @dbains

My bad. I was certainly under the assumption that `kafka-console-producer.sh` itself produce a test message. Thanks for clarifying that's not the case. I typed in the message and verified that it has been received by the consumer.

Expert Contributor

Hi Anuraj,

No problem, I am glad it is working now!

Regards,

Deepna

Contributor

@dbains I have installed Kafka on HDF cluster and trying to create topics using kafka-topics.sh and also use the kafka-console-produce.sh but bash keeps telling me command not found !!!