Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

livy-on-spark3 interpreter died

Contributor

Hello,

trying to setup zeppelin + livy-on-spark3.

Livy-on-spark2 is up and r

spark3.sql runs fine, any spark3.pyspark code returns error "Interpreter died:".

What could be wrong?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

New Contributor

i have also encountered this weird situation interpreter died when using livy pyspark on spark3. I have lost for 2 days debugging this errors and i've found out that we need to:

1. In the "Spark 3" service on Cloudera manager portal, set spark pyspark python and python driver executable files configuration in the section "Spark 3 Client Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for spark3-conf/spark-defaults.conf" as below:

spark.pyspark.driver.python=/usr/bin/python3
spark.pyspark.python=/usr/bin/python3

2. Restart "livy for Spark 3" service on cloudera manager.

3. Restart the Zeppelin Livy Interpreter.

=> After being restarted, the zeppelin's livy interpreter on Spark 3 can execute %pyspark interpreter.

=> Note that, the python version to work with livy spark 3 on zeppelin must be less than or equal 3.7. otherwise it will generate error "required field "type_ignores" missing from Module" when executing pyspark script on Zeppelin.

View solution in original post

Super Collaborator

Hi Team,

Livy3 with Zeppelin Integration is not yet supported.

To use Spark3, you need to install python3 and needs to add the following parameters:

PYSPARK3_PYTHON

spark.yarn.appMasterEnv.PYSPARK3_PYTHON 

Reference:

https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-base/7.1.8/running-spark-applications/topics/spark-pytho...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

New Contributor

I have exact same issue. any hints?

Community Manager

@DarekLinek @Scout Welcome to the Cloudera Community!

To help you get the best possible solution, I have tagged our Spark experts @Bharati and @Gopinath  who may be able to assist you further.

Please keep us updated on your post, and we hope you find a satisfactory solution to your query.

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

New Contributor

i have also encountered this weird situation interpreter died when using livy pyspark on spark3. I have lost for 2 days debugging this errors and i've found out that we need to:

1. In the "Spark 3" service on Cloudera manager portal, set spark pyspark python and python driver executable files configuration in the section "Spark 3 Client Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for spark3-conf/spark-defaults.conf" as below:

spark.pyspark.driver.python=/usr/bin/python3
spark.pyspark.python=/usr/bin/python3

2. Restart "livy for Spark 3" service on cloudera manager.

3. Restart the Zeppelin Livy Interpreter.

=> After being restarted, the zeppelin's livy interpreter on Spark 3 can execute %pyspark interpreter.

=> Note that, the python version to work with livy spark 3 on zeppelin must be less than or equal 3.7. otherwise it will generate error "required field "type_ignores" missing from Module" when executing pyspark script on Zeppelin.

Super Collaborator

Hi Team,

Livy3 with Zeppelin Integration is not yet supported.

To use Spark3, you need to install python3 and needs to add the following parameters:

PYSPARK3_PYTHON

spark.yarn.appMasterEnv.PYSPARK3_PYTHON 

Reference:

https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-base/7.1.8/running-spark-applications/topics/spark-pytho...