Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

llap cannot complete launching, unable to satisfy anti-affinity

Highlighted

llap cannot complete launching, unable to satisfy anti-affinity

Explorer

Hive2 Interactive refusing to launch because llap can't successfully launch. LLAP having difficulty acquiring resources. The exact status found in Yarn > Quick Links > Resource Manager UI > Running > llap0 > Application Master:

Component Desired Actual Outstanding Requests Failed Failed to start Placement
LLAP  6 1 5 0 0 Anti-affinity: 5 pending requests
slider-appmaster 1 1 0 0 0 

It stays stuck like this forever. I adjusted the "Maximum Total Concurrent Queries" from 32 to 16, but it didn't help.

Hive2 Interactive complains:

LLAP app 'llap0' current state is LAUNCHING.

It stays stuck in that state. What is there I need to do to successfully launch llap?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: llap cannot complete launching, unable to satisfy anti-affinity

Rising Star

We have just overcame such issue.

I assume you have enabled pre-emption on YARN.

After that, a little bit of Hive tuning is kind of prerequisite for all users when enabling LLAP (interactive query component). Most common problem with starting interactive server is conflicts between YARN and Hive for resource usage. There are some main parameters which are mostly effective on starting (and running stable) LLAP:

hive.llap.daemon.yarn.container.mb: Suggestion on Ambari is pretty clear:

Total memory used by individual LLAP daemons (YARN Container size). This includes memory
for the cache as well as for the query execution. Should be larger than the sum of
the Daemon cache size and the daemon heap size, and should leave some headroom
after this (In most cases: cache size + heap size + headroom = Memory Per Daemon)

We also tried to keep it slightly below yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-mb value of yarn config. This way we prevent resource conflict with YARN in basic level.

llap_headroom_space :

Maximum headroom reserved from the YARN container running LLAP daemons.
This is an upper limit used during automatic size calculations, and the actual
value may be lower.

We left this as recommended value which is very low compared to others. It is about %6 of llap_heap_size

llap_heap_size:

LLAP Daemon Heap Size in MB.

hive.llap.io.memory.size:

The amount of memory reserved for Hive's optimized in-memory cache.

In memory cache size should be %20 of llap heap size

And below parameters are number of executors which are set in default according to number of CPU's

num_llap_nodes_per_llap_daemons:

Number of Node(s) on which Hive LLAP daemon runs.<br>

We set this value to number of our nodes (nodemanagers / datanodes).

hive.llap.daemon.num.executors:

The number of fragments that a single LLAP daemon will run concurrently.
Usually, this will be the same as the number of available CPUs<br>

We set this to %40 of number of CPUs

hive.llap.io.threadpool.size:

Specify the number of threads to use for low-level IO thread pool.<br>

We also set this one with the same value of number of executors.

After updating these values, you can save configs and start interactive server.

Afterwards, you may need to update queue capacities on Yarn. If you are using Ambari, Yarn Queue Manager view is ideal as it provides ability to view and adjust the values visually. Here you should check if LLAP uses more resource over default queue. If you don't have YARN Queue Manager, you can adjust below parameters and variants of the for default queue.

yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.llap.capacity=12.0

yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.llap.maximum-am-resource-percent=1

yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.llap.maximum-capacity=12.0

Highlighted

Explorer

Thanks for the info. I gave my reply below. Can you recommend a resource for learning the administration of Yarn? There's a lot of moving parts; trying to figure it out piecemeal on my own probably is not going to work.

Highlighted

Rising Star

For a complete YARN administration I would recommend below famous book by Sam R. Alapati:

https://www.amazon.com/Expert-Hadoop-Administration-Addison-Wesley-Analytics/dp/0134597192

Chapter 13 describes how YARN works and Chapter 18 explains how you can make tuning.

Below page describes not only Hive parameters for Hive tuning but also mentions what to do on Yarn.

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.6.2/bk_hive-performance-tuning/content/ch_hive-...

I would suggest reading this to understand how capacity scheduler works. This way you understand how it works and what to do to share resources:

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/CapacityScheduler.html

Highlighted

Explorer

Thanks for the links. Just bought the Alapati book.

Highlighted

Explorer

@Sedat Kestepe Thanks for the info. Each of our nodemanagers has 240GB physical RAM, we have the container minimums and maximums set at 3584MB and 217GB respectively. So, I took your suggestions and was able to get llap launched with the following:

llap heap size = 3750 (3.75G)

llap cache size = 3000 (3.0G)

llap memory per daemon = 8000 (8.0G)

io.threadpool.size = 16 (we have 38 cpus total per node)

I wasn't able to find a num.executors or llap_nodes_per_daemon setting.

With the above configuration, each daemon will occupy a container that's 3x(minimum container size).

Highlighted

Cloudera Employee

Property name to know number of llap nodes for llap daemons is "num_llap_nodes_for_llap_daemons"

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here