Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

log4j2 vulnerability (CVE-2021-44228)

New Contributor

Hello,

I wanted to ask if there's a page / instructions / info regarding the recent log4j2 vulnerability (https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2021-44228) and how it can affect Cloudera CDH setups? If it does affect, what are the recommended mitigations on it?

Thanks,

Mor

39 REPLIES 39

New Contributor

Hello Bill and sorry, I forgot to repeat that (had it written in a previous post in this thread)

Version is cloudera express CDH 5.4 (management service is stopped for security reasons at the moment)

Regards Christian

Master Collaborator

I think Cloudera is using the 1.x log4j

Is there any plan to apply mitigation to the 1.x?

Rising Star

There was a recent update from Apache; https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html#CVE-2021-45105 

"Apache Log4j2 does not always protect from infinite recursion in lookup evaluation", which seems to imply the mitigation strategy of removing references to jndilookup class will not address this.   Is this a concern for CDH6.3?  If so, will the patch script be updated to address?

@Fawze that is why I asked @chr_heim what version he was talking about. It's a little imprecise to say "Cloudera is using the 1.x log4j", because different versions of Cloudera's distributions use different versions of the log4j library.

If you're interested in CDH 5.x, then sure, the version of the log4j library you most likely have deployed is log4j 1.x (you should confirm this for yourself) and you should confirm for yourself by consulting the appropriate documentation whether or not log4j 1.x is even affected by CVE-2021-44228 and therefore if applying Cloudera's short-term mitigation is necessary. My reading of the advisory that The Apache Security team released earlier this month addressing CVE-2021-44228 is that it affects Apache Log4j, versions 2.0 through 2.14.x. Other versions of CDH use a version of Log4j that is definitely within this affected group.

See Cloudera Response to CVE-2021-44228 for the details.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

Hi Team,

We are using Cloudera provided Impala JDBC Driver(2.6.20) and it is using LOG4J2 Core 2.13 version which is having the vulnerability. Is there any new verson of Impala JDBC driver present which is not impacted with the recent log4j issue?

If not is there an ETA when the fixed version is getting released?

Thanks 

PJ

Rising Star

Apache recently posted an update to the existing log4j2 vulnerabilities already discussed here. 

From the Apache page:

"Apache Log4j2 versions 2.0-alpha1 through 2.16.0, excluding 2.12.3, did not protect from uncontrolled recursion from self-referential lookups. When the logging configuration uses a non-default Pattern Layout with a Context Lookup (for example, $${ctx:loginId}), attackers with control over Thread Context Map (MDC) input data can craft malicious input data that contains a recursive lookup, resulting in a StackOverflowError that will terminate the process. This is also known as a DOS (Denial of Service) attack."

My company runs several private CDH6.3 clusters and we've already applied the original log4j2 patch from https://github.com/cloudera/cloudera-scripts-for-log4j.   Can anyone confirm if CDH products are susceptible to CVE-2021-45105?  Seems this particular vulnerability is enabled only if logging configuration uses a non-default pattern layout with a context lookup.  The mitigation strategy differs from that taken by the existing log4j2 patch from Cloudera.  

Apache log4j security vulnerabilities: https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html#CVE-2021-45105

Community Manager

@dturner The top of the CDP Trust Center page mentions the current efforts on CVE-2021-45105 and other Log4j2 issues.

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Rising Star

Does the cloudera script handle the JndiLookup class for Log4j 1.x as well?

New Contributor

I don't believe it does

@kevmac you and @Eric_B can find out about the actual target Log4j library version for Cloudera's suggested remediation by consulting the blog post Cloudera Response to CVE-2021-44228. The version of the Log4j library that the aforementioned remediation script is intended for is specified in the very first paragraph, sub-headed Summary.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator