Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

unable to produce message

New Contributor

I am getting this error for few topics

WARN Error while fetching metadata with correlation id 4802 : {next=LEADER_NOT_AVAILABLE} (org.apache.kafka.clients.NetworkClient)

WARN Error while fetching metadata with correlation id 4803 : {next=LEADER_NOT_AVAILABLE} (org.apache.kafka.clients.NetworkClient)

I am using Kafka 0.9.0.0 and getting this error for few topics while trying to produce messages. After googling I got answers to delete those topics and to recreate.

But I can’t take that option since I would like to have the data and the state of available.

The topics which I was trying are already existing

and worked before.

When I try to list topics and try to get topic information I was able to

get all the details including leader selected.

But if I try to produce I am getting this problem. And this happened to

few topics and most of the topics in the same cluster are working properly.

We got this problem in our integration environment. We are very close to moving to production. It would be great if someone can help to understand this problem better.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

@Mohamed Ashiq, If your topics look like above (old ones refer to brokers 0,1,2,... and new ones to 1001, 1002, ...) then the solution is to visit meta.properties files on each disk of each broker and edit "broker.id" property, changing it from 1001, 1002, ... to 0, 1, 2, ...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Guru

I'm having the same issue, after Kafka upgrade from 0.8.1 to 0.9.0. Everything works against newly created topics, but not against old ones. I checked the details and found that IDs are now numbered from 1001, while before they were starting from 0. For example:

$ ./kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper zk1.example.com:2181 --describe --topic k81c                
Topic:k81c     PartitionCount:2        ReplicationFactor:2     Configs:
        Topic: k81c    Partition: 0    Leader: 0       Replicas: 0,1   Isr: 0
        Topic: k81c    Partition: 1    Leader: 0       Replicas: 1,0   Isr: 0
$ ./kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper zk1.example.com:2181 --describe --topic k9a
Topic:k9a       PartitionCount:2        ReplicationFactor:1     Configs:
        Topic: k9a      Partition: 0    Leader: 1002    Replicas: 1002  Isr: 1002
        Topic: k9a      Partition: 1    Leader: 1001    Replicas: 1001  Isr: 1001

I also checked ZK's entries for /topics/ids, there are (in my case, with 2 brokers) only 2 of them for 1001 and 1002.

Master Guru

@Mohamed Ashiq, If your topics look like above (old ones refer to brokers 0,1,2,... and new ones to 1001, 1002, ...) then the solution is to visit meta.properties files on each disk of each broker and edit "broker.id" property, changing it from 1001, 1002, ... to 0, 1, 2, ...

Contributor

Hi,@Mohamed Ashiq

I have the same question, may I ask you to solve this problem? Thank you!