Community Articles

Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles.
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!
Rising Star

1Overview

Traditionally enterprises have been dealing with data flows or data movement within their data centers. But as the world has become more flattened and global presence of companies has become a norm, enterprises are faced with the challenge of collecting and connecting data from their global footprint. This problem was daunting NSA a decade ago and they came up with a solution for this using a product which was later named as Apache Nifi.

Apache nifi is a easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process and distribute data. Within Nifi, as you will see, I will be able to build a global data flow with minimal to no Coding. You can learn the details about Nifi from Apache Nifi website. This is one of most well documented Apache projects.

The focus of this article to just look at one specific feature within Nifi that I believe no other software product does it as well as Nifi. And this feature is “site to site” protocol data transfer.

2Business use case

One of the classic business problem is to push data from a location that has a small IT footprint, to the main data center, where all the data is collected and connected. This small IT footprint could be a oil rig at the middle of the ocean, a small bank location at a remote mountain in a town, a sensor on a vehicle so on and so forth. So, your business wants a mechanism to push the data generated at various location to say Headquarters in a reliable fashion, with all the bells and whistles of an enterprise data flow which means maintain lineage, secure, provenance, audit, ease of operations etc.

The data that’s generated at my sources are of various formats such as txt, csv, json, xml, audio, image etc.. and they could of various size ranges from few MBs to GBs. I wanted to break these files into smaller chunks as I have a low bandwidth at my source data centers and want to stich them together at the destination and load that into my centralized Hadoop data lake.

3Solution Architecture

Apache Nifi (aka Hortonworks Data Flow) is a perfect tool to solve this problem. The overall architecture looks something like Fig 1.

We have a Australian & Russian data center from where we want to move the data to US Headquarters. We will have what we call edge instance of nifi that will be sitting in Australian & Russian data center, that will act as a data acquisition points. We will then have a Nifi processing cluster in US where we will receive and process all these data coming from global location. We will build this end to end flow without any coding but rather by just a drag and drop GUI interface.

1363-picture1.png

4Build the data flow

Here are the high level steps to build the overall data flow.

Step1) Setup a Nifi instance at Australian data center that will act as data acquisition instance. I will create a local instance of Nifi that will act as my Australian data center.

Step2) Setup Nifi instance on a CentOS based virtual machine that will act as my Nifi data processing instance. This could be cluster of Nifi as well but, in my case it will be just a single instance.

Step3) Build Nifi data flow for the processing instance. This will have an input port that will indicate that this instance can accept data from other Nifi instances.

Step4) Build Nifi data for the data acquisition instance. This will have a “remote process group” that will talk to the Nifi data processing instance via site-to-site protocol.

Step5) Test out the overall flow.

Attached is the document that provides detailed step by step instruction on how to set this up.

data-flow-across-data-centers-v5.zip