Community Articles
Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.
Cloudera Employee

The preferred configuration for integrating with Active Directory is to use a standalone KDC and create a cross realm trust. I have done several of these deployments on physical hardware. Recently I built a test system on our Open Stack lab cluster using a small instance for the KDC. I followed the instruction in the HDP Security guide for configuring a KDC. When I created the database I noticed that the krb5util create –s command was stalling out. I tried several fixes and it took way too long.

I did some searching on Kerberos and learned how the Kerberos utilities create the random data needed for encryption. The designers of Kerberos wanted a truly random data generator. They decided to base their random data generator on OS activities. There is a kernel parameter /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail. You can cat this value to see how much entropy your system has available. Since a VM is mostly idle you will get a small value.

RedHat provides a package called rng-tools that you can install with yum.

sudo yum install rng-tools

Then start rngd.

sudo chkconfig rngd on 
sudo service rngd start

You can cat the value of /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail to see if you have increased the entropy in your VM.

You should have a much higher value and you will see that krb5util create –s complete in a few seconds.

Reference documentation from RedHat.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Security_Guide/sect-Se...

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎09-27-2017 03:48 AM
Updated by:

Contributors
Top Kudoed Authors