It is recommended to create the following documents as part of the
Upgrade Planning and Execution phase.
● Upgrade plan
● Upgrade guide
● Upgrade log (list of issues and their workarounds)
● Validation test results
● Hand-over documents
Learnings from the Field
Phased approach to Upgrades
● Upgrade Dev/Test cluster first before touching
production environment. This will catch issues which are specific to the
● Upgrade Dev/Test cluster first, create a runbook
along with all issues which occurred during upgrade
●Just setting up fresh cluster with the new
version in Dev and testing applications is not enough. While it does take care
of application tests, upgrade issues are not tested. It is recommended to
upgrade Dev/Test in line with upgrade path for Production.
● Any major update to the configurations should be
designed and tested in advance.
● For example – Capacity Scheduler
●Recommend to prepare for capacity scheduler if
you are not using so as part of upgrade planning. It should have been tested on
●Create and define Capacity Scheduler queues
before upgrade. Allocate time and do this before the scheduled upgrade.