Community Articles

Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles.
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!
Labels (2)
Master Guru

This article describes how to launch Apache NiFi 1.0.0 on docker. To launch Apache NiFi 1.1.0 on docker go here.

During my development of the Json2CSV processor here, I quickly found a need for an environment to test my processor. I don't want to build and install NiFi from my laptop since I need all my applications isolated from each other for ease of maintenance. Docker to the rescue! Similar to how I launch a PyCharm IDE from a docker image here which will rerender back to my laptop. Isolation! I like to keep it simply. Put everything in a Dockerfile and allow myself to quickly launch a NiFi Docker image. Here are the steps to get you up and running

Prerequisites

1. Download latest virtualbox from here.
  2. To run docker containers or build images a docker machine is required. Download docker machine from here.

First pull the prebuilt and complied docker image (https://hub.docker.com/r/sunileman/dockernifi/) by running this command:

docker pull sunileman/dockernifi

Now you have the docker image simply run it

docker run -it --rm -p 8080-8081:8080-8081 sunileman/dockernifi

Here you are exposing ports 8080 and 8081 and mapping to your local ports 8080 and 8081 respectively.

During my development of this docker image I found sometimes virtualbox will not create port-forwarding rules even though I have created them during my docker run.

To simplify this process grab portforward shell script from here.

• Name it portforward.sh
  • Verify you can execute script by issuing chmod on it
  • then run this command
  • ./portforward.sh 8080
  • ./portforward.sh 8081

If you do not want to download and execute the script, simply go to virtualbox and create a port forwarding rules for the 8080 and 8081 ports

9867-nifipf.jpg

Your done. Go to localhost:8080/nifi/

9868-nifipf2.jpg

To shut down nifi simply hit control+c and nifi will shut down gracefully. That is too easy. Now go build some cool stuff!

Comments
Super Guru

@Sunile Manjee

Great article. I think you have a typo in your run command. You use sunileman/dockernifi in the pull, but sunileman/nifi in the run. The run command doesn't work as you have it shown.

Master Guru

Got it, fixed. good catch.