Community Articles

Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles.
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!
Master Guru

Oozie job submit fails in HDP-3.0 with below error:

Error: E0723 : E0723: Unsupported action type, node [hive] type [org.apache.oozie.service.ActionService]

It looks like failure is because Oozie is not aware of Hive action type.

When I checked value of oozie.service.ActionService.executor.ext.classes in oozie-site.xml, I found that it was set to below value:

<property> 
  <name>oozie.service.ActionService.executor.ext.classes</name>
        <value> org.apache.oozie.action.email.EmailActionExecutor, org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.ShellActionExecutor, org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.SqoopActionExecutor, org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.DistcpActionExecutor</value>
</property>

Note - Hive action type and other supported action types like Spark/Spark2 is missing in this. I'm still working with our engineering to find out why this is happening with recent Oozie version, earlier it used to work without any issues. I will keep you posted on this.

To fix this issue:

Please modify oozie.service.ActionService.executor.ext.classes to have org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.HiveActionExecutor class.

Modified property:

<property> 
<name>oozie.service.ActionService.executor.ext.classes</name>
<value> org.apache.oozie.action.email.EmailActionExecutor, org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.ShellActionExecutor, org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.SqoopActionExecutor, org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.DistcpActionExecutor, org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.HiveActionExecutor</value> 
</property>

After you modify this, please restart Oozie services via Ambari and try to resubmit your workflow. It should work without any issue.

I hope this will save your valuable time in troubleshooting!

Please comment if you have any feedback/questions/suggestions. Happy Hadooping!! :)

0 Kudos
Comments

@Kuldeep Kulkarni - thanks for the post. Do we have to add Spark & Spark2 classes to oozie.service.ActionService.executor.ext.classes for Spark action & Spark2 action please confirm.

Of Course The modification of oozie-site.xml must be done on Ambari