Community Articles

Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles.
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!
Labels (1)

Reference:

a) Github

b) AMBARI-13205

1) Install SNMP on a sandbox or test environment

yum install net-snmp net-snmp-utils net-snmp-libs –y

2) Modify the script /etc/snmp/snmptrapd.conf to include "disableAuthorization yes"

# Example configuration file for snmptrapd
#
# No traps are handled by default, you must edit this file!
#
# authCommunity   log,execute,net public
# traphandle SNMPv2-MIB::coldStart    /usr/bin/bin/my_great_script cold
disableAuthorization yes

3) Copy APACHE-AMBARI-MIB.txt file from the above github or jira reference

a) cp APACHE-AMBARI-MIB.txt /usr/share/snmp/mibs 
b) chmod 777 /usr/share/snmp/mibs/APACHE-AMBARI-MIB.txt 

4) Copy snmp_mib_script.sh script from the above github or jira reference and set appropriate permission to execute the script

cp snmp_mib_script.sh /tmp/snmp_mib_script.sh

5) Run the below command

nohup snmptrapd -m ALL -A -n -Lf /tmp/traps.log &

6) Invoke a test trap to ensure that the snmptrapd is logging appropriately to '/tmp/traps.log'

snmptrap -v 2c -c public localhost '' APACHE-AMBARI-MIB::apacheAmbariAlert alertDefinitionName s "definitionName" alertDefinitionHash s "definitionHash" alertName s "name" alertText s "text" alertState i 0 alertHost s "host" alertService s "service" alertComponent s "component" 

7) Check and see the alert in the trap file '/tmp/traps.log'

😎 Kill the snmptrapd process(step 5) and set up the alert notification on Ambari UI

9) Below is the notification I setup on Ambari

10791-snmp1.png

10792-snmp2.png

10) Run the below command & invoke a test trap again

nohup snmptrapd -m ALL -A -n -Lf /tmp/traps.log &

snmptrap -v 2c -c public localhost '' APACHE-AMBARI-MIB::apacheAmbariAlert alertDefinitionName s "definitionName" alertDefinitionHash s "definitionHash" alertName s "name" alertText s "text" alertState i 0 alertHost s "host" alertService s "service" alertComponent s "component" 

11) Test the alert by manually stopping a component, in this example yarn node manager and ambari-agent was stopped which showed up on both /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-alerts.log and also in /tmp/traps.log file. I have attached the screenshot of the snmp alert on the left side and ambari alert on the right side of the screen shot. Please note sometimes the alert might take a while to show up.

10793-snmp3.png

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Comments

We are using this in our environment. It works fine. If we would like to get the host name in the alert next what should we add to the snmptrap command ? You have the alerthost in this sample command

snmptrap -v 2c-c public localhost '' APACHE-AMBARI-MIB::apacheAmbariAlert alertDefinitionName s "definitionName" alertDefinitionHash s "definitionHash" alertName s "name" alertText s "text" alertState i 0 alertHost s "host" alertService s "service" alertComponent s "component"

Like this what will be the command for snmp_mib_script.sh - to include the alertHost ?

/usr/bin/snmptrap -v 2c -c $COMMUNITY $HOST '' APACHE-AMBARI-MIB::apacheAmbariAlert alertDefinitionName s "$1" alertName s "$2" alertText s "$5" alertState i $STATE alertService s "$3"