Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

ACID table transactions fails

New Contributor

Hi Team,

I am trying to connect the hive table from CDSW data science workbench using python. i am able to connect the hive from python using impala, when i try to execute the query i am getting below error, 

SemanticException [Error 10265]: This command is not allowed on an ACID table default.atlastest with a non-ACID transaction manager. Failed command: SELECT * FROM `default`.`table_name`'), operationHandle=None)

PFB code ref:

import os
import pandas
from impala.dbapi import connect
from impala.util import as_pandas

# Specify HIVE_HS2_HOST host name as an environment variable in your project settings
HIVE_HS2_HOST='1.1.1.1'

# This connection string depends on your cluster setup and authentication mechanism
conn = connect(host=HIVE_HS2_HOST,
port=10000,
user = 'username',
password = 'password',
auth_mechanism='PLAIN',
kerberos_service_name='hive')

cursor = conn.cursor()
res = cursor.execute('SELECT * FROM `default`.`table_name`')

Kindly help me to close this issue

4 REPLIES 4

Master Guru

@sur I believe you have to run the queries over Impala not Hive. I have tested below and it works several time in the past. 

# Install Libraries
!pip3 install impyla==0.13.8
!pip3 install thrift_sasl==0.2.1
!pip3 install thrift==0.9.3
!pip3 install sasl==0.2.1

# Connect to Impala
from impala.dbapi import connect

conn = connect(host='host',
port=21050,
auth_mechanism='GSSAPI',
use_ssl=True,
kerberos_service_name='impala')

# Execute Query
sql = "select * from table"

cursor = conn.cursor()
cursor.execute(sql)
results = cursor.fetchall()

You can refer the below doc: https://docs.cloudera.com/cdsw/1.9.1/import-data/topics/cdsw-running-queries-on-impala-tables.html

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

@GangWar  Thanks for your reply; Actually i am trying to query on Hive table; and I have followed the these steps; https://docs.cloudera.com/cdsw/1.9.1/import-data/topics/cdsw-accessing-data-from-apache-hive.html

I am able to establish the connection  and executed 'show tables;' -- it works fine as expected. The real problem comes only when i try to run select query on hive table. It is showing the above error which i mentioned early.

Explorer

It works on impala shell or hive beeline?

Master Guru

@sur I believe you have to Set below properties before executing create table statement

Hope this helps. 

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.