Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari 2.1.2 : cannot start newly added datanode because /usr/hdp/current link is missing

Guru

Hi,

I have an issue at installation time of datanode (Ambari 2.1.2, HDP 2.2.4) , it fails because at step "Datanode start" with the error:

""

File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 87, in action_create
    raise Fail("Applying %s failed, parent directory %s doesn't exist" % (self.resource, dirname))
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Applying File['/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client/conf/hadoop-policy.xml'] failed, parent directory /usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client/conf doesn't exist

""

Obviously the cause of this issue already happens at step "Datanode install", because the last log message is:

""

2016-01-12 19:44:17,233 - Skipping XmlConfig['core-site.xml'] due to only_if
2016-01-12 19:44:17,233 - Can only link configs for HDP-2.3 and higher.

""

Hmmm, strange, HDP2.2 should be supported by recent versions of Ambari...

Is this a known issue? any workarounds, hints what to do ?

Thanks, Gerd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

Hi @Artem Ervits, @Neeraj Sabharwal

just to give you an update on this:

- yes, there was/is enough space in /usr and the dir /usr/hdp/2.2.5.2-2 has been created

- due to time pressure I decided to start again from scratch with ambari 2.0.1 (the combination which I used for earlier clusters as well), right now it looks good, also that particular host is up as a worker node

- to cleanup all the nodes I used the hostcleanup python script and some additional directory deletions (due to non-standard directories, e.g. for logs)

I will do the Ambari upgrade later on.

Thanks for all you efforts

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Master Mentor

@Gerd Koenig you need to run hdp-select tool with the full version of the HDP you're running on the other servers. Check if you have /usr/hdp/2.x directory that matches your current version on other nodes, once that's confirmed, refer to the docs to execute hdp-select statement associated with your version, then you restart all services on the node and run service checks.

Master Mentor

just to add, most likely adding the node did not complete as hdp-select statement executed last to symlink /usr/hdp/2.x directory to /usr/hdp/current for client and server libs.

Guru

Hi @Artem Ervits,

thanks for this input. I tried it, but the link named 'current' hasn't been created, seems like the hdp-select command didn't do anything?!?!

$ ls -al /usr/hdp
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Jan 12 20:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 4096 Jan 12 20:28 ..
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Jan 13 08:56 2.2.4.2-2
$ /usr/bin/hdp-select set all 2.2.4.2-2
$ ls -al /usr/hdp
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Jan 12 20:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 4096 Jan 12 20:28 ..
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Jan 13 08:56 2.2.4.2-2

Master Mentor

does /usr/hdp/2.x exist @Gerd Koenig? Do you have enough space on /usr?

Guru

Hi @Artem Ervits, @Neeraj Sabharwal

just to give you an update on this:

- yes, there was/is enough space in /usr and the dir /usr/hdp/2.2.5.2-2 has been created

- due to time pressure I decided to start again from scratch with ambari 2.0.1 (the combination which I used for earlier clusters as well), right now it looks good, also that particular host is up as a worker node

- to cleanup all the nodes I used the hostcleanup python script and some additional directory deletions (due to non-standard directories, e.g. for logs)

I will do the Ambari upgrade later on.

Thanks for all you efforts